Is real time streaming practical/affordable?

I have an underwater camera in my 6000 gallon Koi pond. I've youtubed 5 minutes at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjXYOj-Xiko to give an example of the content I want to stream. My camera is the Lorex CVS1000 - it delivers BNC or composite video.

Lorex says I should invest in their Networkable video server, DNS1010 at around $250 - this includes a free DDNS account that will route traffic to the server on my network. I don't know enough to determine if this is a wise course.

As a Microsoft Partner I have access to tons of Microsoft software products and suppose I could build my own server but maybe there's a simpler way. My DSL package is the top tier 6 MB but I think the upload speed may be only 128 - possibly a choke point. I've got the fish on most of my TV's right now - some are as big as 3 feet and 15 pounds. It's cool to see them swimming toward the lens and would be fun to share but I'm not sure how to go. I read the streaming tutorial and understand the easy way would be to stream files but somehow I want that realtime aspect if possible.

Would greatly appreciate an education here. How should I do it? Is it even feasible at reasonable cost?
    Last edited by alexcomp; 4th Jun 2009 at 13:39. Reason: Bad title few views

Quote: alexcomp
    View Post
    I have an underwater camera in my 6000 gallon Koi pond. I've youtubed 5 minutes at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjXYOj-Xiko to give an example of the content I want to stream. My camera is the Lorex CVS1000 - it delivers BNC or composite video.

Lorex says I should invest in their Networkable video server, DNS1010 at around $250 - this includes a free DDNS account that will route traffic to the server on my network. I don't know enough to determine if this is a wise course.

As a Microsoft Partner I have access to tons of Microsoft software products and suppose I could build my own server but maybe there's a simpler way. My DSL package is the top tier 6 MB but I think the upload speed may be only 128 - possibly a choke point. I've got the fish on most of my TV's right now - some are as big as 3 feet and 15 pounds. It's cool to see them swimming toward the lens and would be fun to share but I'm not sure how to go. I read the streaming tutorial and understand the easy way would be to stream files but somehow I want that realtime aspect if possible.

Would greatly appreciate an education here. How should I do it? Is it even feasible at reasonable cost?
    Well let's start off bay saing Hi, and second asking some question's.

Do you have a website that you can stream the videos from? this could add to your cost, as the cost of having the website will have to be in there try looking at this site http://www.top10webhosting.com/. for an idea on cost of this

Do you have a flsh convertor so that your video's can be streamed at a low comprestion rate like youtube uses.

and do you know how to make a website if not here is a good place to get some help http://www.2createawebsite.com/

hope this help in some way
    Be curious always! For knowledge will not acquire you; you must acquire it.

I do have a website, www.alexcomp.com and have "beefed it up" with adequate storage and bandwidth but I'm not sure how this relates to streaming realtime. The Digimerge DNS1010 that I'm considering will convert to MP4 at D1, Cif or Qcif and supplies a dynamic dns service which will point to an internal, to me, network device for streaming video.

That's what I've learned so far but I need to know more before making an additional investment.

Quote: alexcomp
    View Post
    I do have a website, www.alexcomp.com and have "beefed it up" with adequate storage and bandwidth but I'm not sure how this relates to streaming realtime. The Digimerge DNS1010 that I'm considering will convert to MP4 at D1, Cif or Qcif and supplies a dynamic dns service which will point to an internal, to me, network device for streaming video.

That's what I've learned so far but I need to know more before making an additional investment.

Hi, I have just been looking and I have found this site http://www.videomaker.com/article/8165/ it say's it's free to do, but I am unsure if it is really free, if you read what to do, you may be able to find other free venders out there than the ones it say's to use.

Hope this help
    Be curious always! For knowledge will not acquire you; you must acquire it.

Streaming in HD

Hi alexcomp:

You may have a look at BlinkoTV, Livestream or JustinTV. I am streaming live events and I use a Vixia HF 10 camera to do HD streaming. Tested all of these systems and that $250 price is reasonable. I can show you some demos just let me know if you are still interested.

I actually joined this forum to ask specifically about livestream. A friend of mine recommended it. I'm still concerned I don't have a good enough upload bandwidth for a site like livestream to do me any good. But if I did, do any of you have enough experience with it to be able to tell me whether it's worth my time? I've tried others, like ustream, etc., but wondered if anybody knew much about whether livestream is any good. (I guess I'm not really answering alexcomp's question. Maybe I should've just made a new thread. Oh well.)

The Digimerge DNS1010 that I'm considering will convert to MP4 at D1, Cif or Qcif and supplies a dynamic dns service which will point to an internal, to me, network device for streaming video.