Need Help with Main Speakers

I have been doing sound for my church for a few years. Other than the basics I am pretty much self taught. Over the past few months I have started searching online to try and improve my skills a bit because I figure I probably won’t learn it from anyone else.

We have a problem with our loudspeakers. We used to have them sitting on our stage with the subs in the corners. It all worked fine. They were “updated” by a third party a couple years ago and now we have new ones hanging from the ceiling. We have no paper work on them. The name on the front says “Pyle Pro”. The problem is that since then, I don’t believe they worked properly. If I play a CD, I can hear it thru the monitors and the subs, so I know it is working. When I push the slider for the mains, nothing comes out. Again, nothing. It takes a few times of up and down for it to finally “catch”. When it does, they come on one at a time, left to right (there are four). They work fine after that for the music. After the music has been going for a while (maybe 20 min) I can hear the speakers start to go off. If I let it go they will shut down, one at a time, right to left, until they are all off. If I catch it in time I can push up the mains and avoid them shutting off but after that point the problem usually persists. I have to constantly fiddle with the sound to make sure the speakers don’t go off. I am not aware of anything else involved (Comressor/Limitor, Gate).

Any advice on fixing this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Seems to me that you need to look at the processing or amplifiers to fix this problem. Now, Pyle 'Pro' is anything but, so it may be the speaker terminals (connections on the back, which may be spring-loaded or screw-in instead of 1/4" or speakon.

With the CD player on, turn off the amp that powers the subs, and turn off the monitors. have a few folks around with decent ears to give a real-time indication of what speakers are on or off. Look at your mixers main outputs, they should indicate a good signal, hopefully around -0- at louder parts.

Now, watch the lights on the front of the power amps, see if any of the 'signal present' lights are going off, or if there are any other indicators there.

The mixer, processing and amp models would help a lot, so I could know what lights you have to look at/for.

I will check on that. I believe they are powered or self powered or whatever. There is a switch at the board that turns them on. There is nothing between the speakers and the board. the cord runs thru the ceiling and is plugged directly into the board with nothing inbetween. I will try to get more info tomorrow.

If they are powered, just check the connections to make sure everything is rock-solid.

If they are turning on and off at-will, it may be overheating/thermal protection. I've heard that the Mackie SRM450's are notorious for this, I can imagine that a less expensive product may experience the same problem.

Also, if they are powered, you might want to look into the AC. the power from the wall, if they are being pushed and are drawing more power than the circuit is designed for, they may be tripping something.

Is is possible that they have a mode where they turn on automatically when a signal is sensed? This would cause them to delay turning on, and they'd turn off again during the quiet parts of the service. If so, maybe you can defeat this mode.

Thanks for the help. It is appreciated. I will give it a try. It really wouldn't surprise me if it is a power problem. We don't really have an ideal setup. Lots of stuff pulling from a little power. We need help on a whole other level for that but thanks again for the help.

Sorry Karl. Didn't see your response. I will deffinately look for that. Porblem is our ceiling is 30 feet and I don't know where the ladder is. arg. I will deff look into this and let you know. thanks.