Thread: Streaming Help

Streaming Help

I am SO new to this and I am probably too new to get it. I did read the streaming tutorial.

I am running a small web server called Xerver so I can save space/money on my web site that is hosted off premises. I simply point my pages to the content stored locally and so far so good.

I have created a .mov file (35 meg) and used your code to embed it in a page. However, from my local server running Xerver it still downloads the entire file before it starts to play. An .rm file of the same size called up with a .ram file does not stream either.

The .mov file does stream after over a minute from the server of my hosted page.

So my questions are:
    Does my web server software "specifically" have to be able to stream?
    Is there a minimum RAM or processor requirement to stream?
    Is there a minimum upload speed necessary? I am at 45-50kb/sec
    I read you could only encode with one speed type to stream. Is that true?

Thank you for the help

here is the link: http://www.suncoastcommunity.com/041005.html

Blog Entries
    It's very late here and I need to go to bed, but I had a quick look at your code. My first suggestion is to get rid of the space in your file name, e.g. "apr10.mov" instead of "apr 10.mov". Spaces in file names is a recipe for trouble on the Internet.

I'll come back tomorrow and see if I can see anything else, and have a go at your questions. Sorry I can't be more help now but I'm tired
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Bob der Builder

Mr

I gather you have installed a web server i.e turned your pc into a server... to allow the viewing of video on any web server the correct MIME types must be enabled.... do a search on google for exact help...
    bdb

Blog Entries
    Bob makes a good point about making sure your server is set up to recognize and deal with the file types correctly.

When I visit your page I still don't see any video at all. If you can remove that space from the file name, that would be a good start.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com