Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wedding Video Trends??

Hi All

Weddings in our part of the world seem to be oblivious to HD (although they all have an HD TV!!) For this reason I still shoot all my weddings in SD as very few people own (or expect to buy) a BluRay player

Just wondering if anyone here is using a Sony HD1000 events camera on a regular basis. I have seen good and bad reports about it and a mini review would be great as lower priced shoulder mount cameras are few and far between!!! But it does have the advantage of being able to shoot HD and downconvert to SD!! Sadly the CMOS sensor seems to give poor results in dim Church venues!!!

I'm running Panasonics at the moment but they too have moved from tape to AVCHD format now which means you need a super computer to edit and then still have to render out to SD

Tom (from SummerIsle) are you still shooting weddings in SD or HD. It would be interesting to know what the trends are in the UK!!

Chris

Hi Chris,
    We use two Canon XH-A1 cams and a HV20, shoot everything in HDV and have actually produced Blu Ray for 6 weddings last year. The package is 1 Blu Ray disc and 5 SD discs. None so far this year but wedding video is way down here in the USA right now.

I also find that with the availability of cameras like the HV20 and HV30, that more novices are getting out and shooting weddings for a couple hundred dollars. What's it like on the other side of the globe?
    2 x Dual Core Xeon 3.0, Premiere Elements 1 - 7, Premiere Pro CS3, After Effects CS3, Soundbooth, Heroglyph, Vitascene, EncoreDVD http://muvipix.com

Hi Chris,

I am currently still shooting in SD at the moment with my Canon XL1s's, I am not the biggest fan of High definition yet.

The popularity of HD is growing around here though. However its frustrating as many companies are not giving couples the choice of whether or not they want SD or HD. They just film in HD regardless and charge extra even when its burnt on a normal DVD.

I could film in HD as I do also own HD cameras, however, I do not own a blue-ray burner which clients would like their video on. I just feel being honest is the right thing to do. It also takes longer in rendering and many clients like things done in good time and I like to run a good service that doesn't keep them waiting for ages.

But at some stage soon, I reckon I will have to move on to HD and invest in the extra facilities to compete with my competitors.

Tom

Thanks for the feedback, guys!!

Chuck, the market here hasn't really changed at all. I have bookings as far ahead as November 2010 and the enquiries are coming in pretty well. We have a few "el-cheapo" operators but they soon fade away when they see they actual work is involved !

So far this season (ours runs September to May) I have done around 30 weddings and only one client actually asked if the cameras were HD but was happy for SD!! Most clients will want to send DVD's to their family and friends and not many people own BluRay players and I also seriously doubt whether the average blushing bride really cares about technical details. If it's in focus and you capture all the events, they are happy!! All the client is worried about is the content and nothing else.

Tom, I agree with you about workflow!! What really is of great concern is the rendering time of HD and time is money. I cannot have an HD ceremony clip around 30 mins that takes hours and hours to render (I had reports that using AVCHD you can easily be looking at "overnight" rendering for that size clip.) In Vegas 7 with my DuoCore 2GHZ machine I render a 30 minute clip in around 12 minutes so I can wrap up a video quickly (I can normally edit and render the whole wedding in a morning in SD which wouldn't happen in HD!!)

At present, in my opinion, the only practical use of HD is if your cameras can downconvert during capture so you can shoot HD and capture SD. My only current problem is my cameras shoot 4:3 but then again no one person even questions the format as they are so wrapped up in the actual event!!

I have yet to lose a job due to my lack of HD facilities... any clients ever ask you for HD Tom???? I think often we worry too much about technical issues instead on concentrating on the actual wedding event!!

Chris

Hi Chris,

Yes I do agree with what your saying, technical issues are more thought about than the wedding event itself a lot of the time, but personally, I think its down to your own personal skills and how you use your gear (regardless of whether its HD or SD) to create a beautiful wedding video.

I do have clients ask if their wedding will be filmed in HD, so I do my best to go through with them the requirements of having a HD video and that the videos I produce will still have great quality with widescreen but won't be in HD. Its good to show clients lots of samples of your work and if they like your style then fingers crossed HD shouldn't get a look in. At the end of the day, my prices are cheaper in SD and the quality of the filming is just as good, but it just wont be in HD, yet.

Tom

I may not be in the business, but consider me in the loop.

Most pro operators run on Pannys (the DVX/HPX/HMCs, more handhelds rather than shoulder mounts) and more 'sophisticated' stuff are coming in.. film lens adapters running on rails and stuff... visuals are stunning but often wanting in content. SD is still common as 1. most couples know HD exists, but explaining the technicalities (esp telling them what they need to play it) is usually the best education. 2. HD aka Blurays are still picking up slowly. I dare say those who indulge in them are really those who uses the Playstation 3!

Shoot in the day, and during the dinner function on the same day, the highlights is ready and edited for the guests to view. That's the speed required here! It's the same for still photography (montage).
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Hey Nagar

Wow that is service!! When I did wedding photography I used to have an assistant who took over the shoot after the group photos while I rushed back to the studio, developed film and printed out proofs, mounted them on a big board and took them back to the reception and promptly took orders from the guests!!
    Nowdays it would be a lot easier with a laptop and printer on site.

I have never bothered with making a highlights disk to show people at the reception. I wonder how they manage to edit the highlights so quickly..I guess you would hand the footage to an assistant who would then edit them into a highlights disk and then show it at the reception???

Any special reason for this??? With all my weddings, guests very seldom ask for copies of the DVD..the only copies requested are ones that are sent overseas to family who could not attend.

Whew!! that's hard work!! Just shooting a full wedding is a 12 hour stint for me without having to factor in anything else!!!

Chris

How they edit the highlights so quickly?
    Simple. They ONLY shot the highlights! Nothing else.

Somehow all the assistant do is hold the load (bags of cameras!). Perhaps this has to do with a certain culture we have where the 'master' (employer) refrains from giving away his 'tools of the trade' to his 'disciple' (assistant). But slowly and surely, the assistant will inch his way to understand things, and soon move off to become a new competitor in the market!

There are a couple of reasons I can think of for doing such a quick job.
    1. Like you mention, it's a 'perk' in service, though I realised it's become a norm.. many couples 'demand' for one.

2. It is meant for guests who were not present in the earlier preceeding (ceremonial rites and all is usually a fairly closed affair between close relatives and good friends, thus not everyone would have 'caught' the action)

3. For the video guy, this is the best place to 'scout' for business! More often than not, the logo and name of the good people who did the video 'graces' the beginning and end of the highlights' video, thus 'promising' clients amongst the guests can be impressed and consider their service!

At the end of the day, the highlights video and perhaps a little more footage is all the couple receives! Certainly this does not apply to all the businesses here, but the avant garde ones runs on this mode.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Hi Nagar

It's strange how different cultures and countries operate. Wedding ceremonies here invite everyone!! In fact it's considered poor taste to attend the reception only..attending the ceremony is usually a pre-requisite to obtaining your "ticket" to the free food and drink at the reception!! South Africa was much the same scenario!!

I do very few "highlights" here. At the very least, the couple want the full ceremony covered (usually it's a civil one outdoors) and the entire reception with all the speeches and special events like the cake, garter and bouquet.

I wonder what Tom of SummerIsle will have to say. I would suspect that the UK couples also are much like Australia???

Chris

this site has good stock footage. http://www.clipcanvas.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast