Thread: video Camea

video Camea

I am going to buy a Video camera to produce documentaries. I need a camera with a changeble lense function. Any recommendations on which camera i should go for with a budget of 3000 pounds.

Any particular reason that you want interchangeable lenses??? Most of the prosumer cameras have a zoom range of 16X or more so I really cannot see the need nowdays for extra lenses especially for docs!!

With something like the Canon range you are likely to pay more for a lense than the original camera.

Before choosing, you need to also decide what your market is???? Are you making these for yourself or to sell?? Will you distribute on DVD or BluRay disk or sell to TV stations??? You need to look very carefully at want your market will ask for first before going ahead and buying a camera that is either under or over spec.

I would also look at my edit budget!! HD production needs some serious hardware that can easily cost more than your filming gear!!!

Chris

I agree with Chris that more information is definitely required before a good recommendation could be made. There are lots of great cameras starting in the $3000 USD range and go up from there. Depending on what your subject matter will be, and the filming conditions, the recommendations could be way different.
    2 x Dual Core Xeon 3.0, Premiere Elements 1 - 7, Premiere Pro CS3, After Effects CS3, Soundbooth, Heroglyph, Vitascene, EncoreDVD http://muvipix.com

I thought an interchangeable lense would prevent the need to replace the camera. Thus i could just update the lense every so often to improve the quality of the picture instead of buying a new camera.

I will be shooting political documentaries, conducting indoor and outdoor interviews and shooting in offices, parks,urban streets and other inner city locations. When shooting outdoors, I will generally rely on natural lighting and existing lighting for indoor shooting.

I am making DVD'S to sell to the general public and T.V stations.

Will the SONY Z5 produce my documentaries.

I intend to shoot in HD and edit with final cut pro 6.

Can this Mac get the job done.
    Mac Pro
    Configuration
    o One 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
    o 8GB (4x2GB) OF MEMORY
    o 640GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
    o NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512MB
    o

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar
    In terms of the PC specification, it looks to me as though it should be able to handle it.

James
    Last edited by lake54; 25th Jun 2009 at 17:45. Reason: Removed lense opinion due to, well, no knowledge :-)

Lenses can make a huge difference and can easily cost more than the camera itself. Very similar to 35mm photography and the lenses available for those cameras, the video camera lenses are even more important.

You might like a camera that can swap out lenses for various purposes but I don't think that will fulfill the need for a second camera when doing documentaries nor will it cause the camera to last any longer. Any camera that will allow you to change lenses will be a camera that will have excellent quality and will not become obsolete in a short amount of time.

If you don't want to be buying new cameras often then be sure to go with HDV now rather than waiting.
    2 x Dual Core Xeon 3.0, Premiere Elements 1 - 7, Premiere Pro CS3, After Effects CS3, Soundbooth, Heroglyph, Vitascene, EncoreDVD http://muvipix.com

The Z5 does not support interchangeable lenses. A Z7P does. There are adapters to attach 35mm lenses onto your non-changeable cameras. Chris, did you make one of those?

Consider thinking about wide angles adapters. Most people think about the tele in their lens reach, but not often the wide (especially if you are filming in a constrained space, or trying to interview someone close enough with enough background). If you're budget conscious, there are third party ones.

Having smaller lights (cheap ones) will help for indoor. Never rely solely on gain.

Just note that Sony is a very 'exclusive' brand. IMO they make the most proprietor stuff that only works for them. Believe me cos I use Sony. Wink.

Your Mac Pro configuration looks fine. I would usually suggest having your OS run on a separate HDD (there are 4 bays in the CPU anyway), eg a 320GB for OS (a smaller HDD allows the CPU to 'work faster' to get what they need to find) and a separate 640GB (or anything) for roughs/cuts.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Hey Nagar

Unless you are doing extreme sports filming where you need ultra wide skateboard shots or maybe super tele facilities on a mountain slope I really cannot see the need to have interchangeable lenses for documentaries!!

Goodness!! Most pro cameras have a 16x zoom and Canon up to 20X ..My Pannys are a mere 10X and unless you are on tripod you don't want to try and handhold at 10x nevermind 20x!!!!

Good docs are all about storylines and good images to reinforce the story and fancy lenses might not help if it's poor. Personally I have never seen the need for lense changes except in special cases!!

BTW: Nope !! Never made any DIY thread adapters but I do have a DOF adapter tutorial which obviously allows you to use any lens you wish and allow your video camera to work with shallow depth of fields. Check my signature link to see the unit.

Chris

Totally agree with the part about interchangeable lenses.

I use a 20X. More than enough coverage, but like I mentioned, sometimes I'd just prefer having a little more width! That's perhaps my shooting preference!
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore