Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar
    When I read the first paragraph I read it as though a stedicam was better lol

When you say virtually nothing, that's high end for me unfortunately! If there's one for less than a hundred pounds then maybe but otherwise I'm saving up for a proper one. On that note, I may actually be on the receiving end of a full package (camera, tripod, audio stuff, cases etc) because I've done a website for someone who knows I'm trying to get into this sort of thing, and if he makes a decent amount of money (iPhone app) then he'll pay for a package - not a bad deal eh?

James

Anybody know what the old beeb do with their cameras?

Might be able to get one for a low price if the alternative is scrap...

James

Quote: lake54
    View Post
    Anybody know what the old beeb do with their cameras?

Might be able to get one for a low price if the alternative is scrap...

James
    They sell them... get some returns for their next investment. Buy (brand new) and sell, buy(secondhand goods) and sell.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Cool, next question = how can I buy one

Hi James

eBay is really the answer for buying old stuff. Most ebay sites have a section for VHS cameras and you should pick up one for peanuts as they are often sold off when people upgrade or it's just been lying around the home for ages.

For a good pro feel try to find one of the Panasonic MS series as they are nice and heavy and also use a standard or SVHS tape which you can still buy to check your results (but don't try and edit anything!! just play it in a VCR or thru the telly!!)

Even if you pay 100 pounds for one you can use it for year and then more than likely sell it on eBay for the same if not more!! A couple of years back I bought an MS4 for $200 and sold it 6 months later for $380!!!!

Chris

haha - looks good, but the battery doesn't hold a charge :-(

thanks anyway though

you think i could get this for the same price http://bit.ly/dXmdN ???

Quote: lake54
    View Post
    haha - looks good, but the battery doesn't hold a charge :-(

thanks anyway though

you think i could get this for the same price http://bit.ly/dXmdN ???

In your dreams yes. In 15 years' time yes. For now, no.

My friend, perhaps you can see if you can strike some kind of deal with your boss if you can loan the camera out for a short day or two to make a short film. That will be good.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Hi James

Never mind the camera neither you or I could afford the P2 data cards which start at $1000 each and go up from there.

All Panny VHS cams use 12v batteries so you can easily hook up a 12v sealed gel battery and put it in a belt pouch!!! It's only for practice remember so all the batteries on these cams will be suspect!!!

I used my Pannys with a gel battery in a belt pouch for many years!!!

Chris

Haha I know - would definitely be in my dreams!

I know what you mean, and he probably would, but I'm not creative in the sense of making films like that - I'd be fine filming it creatively, but not coming up with the ideas unfortunately :-(

I mean I could do a film interviewing people in the centre of town, but it's not really 'different' as such.

BINGO!!! I've just remembered - one of the other team members is writing a book - perhaps I could film a teaser or something so she could use it to promote it somewhat. I'll talk to her about it and see what she says.

Thanks once again nagar!

James

EDIT: Just to clarify - I do know that I would never be able to get the p2 cam in a million years - I didn't make it clear that I was joking lol. Don't worry - I'm not that silly!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast