Who gets editing credits?

I recently performed a concert and a friend, who operated one of the camcorders compiled three angles of video footage using his computer editing software.

I then painstakingly reviewed all of the footage from each camera angle, and manually logged the video index numbers, where I wanted angle transitions. I then decided what I wanted cut out of the footage. After this, we watched the selected footage, I chose which types of transitions I wanted to use and he did the magic on his computer.

When it came time to list the credits on the finished product, my friend listed himself as the editor.

I agree that he did the computer work, but my question is, since I conceptualized the whole thing, made every decision about how the video should look down to the finest detail, shouldn't I be listed as the editor as well?

Not to be anal, but if it were you, who would you list and in what order?

That would make you the producer and/or director wouldn't it???

You never actually did the editing but made the edit decisions but you still should be listed...maybe under "Production/Direction"

Hey, it's a fancier title than editor anyway so next time if you have arranged the production and have decided on the layout, format and essentially what is cut out and what is included that makes you both the Director and the Producer.

Then again it's only a title...maybe rather get yourself on the front of the movie rather than at the end!! "A "your name" production" That makes you really important compared to the "workers" at the end!!

Chris

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar
    Yeah I'd have to agree with Chris - you didn't technically do it, he did. If he wasn't there, you might not have been able to complete the edit.

The role you said you took on was Direction - having the creative vision to decide what went where etc.

James

Who gets editing credits?

Hey guys, this helps a lot! As you can tell, I'm a novice and you've clarified these roles quite well for me. Chris, you've really given me some helium to swell my ego with the old "important title piece....lol! I did think of Director, but still didn't want to miss out on any credit I might be due.... boy am I self-absorbed. But Lake54 is right, I certainly would not have been able to complete any editing on my own as I know nothing about the software that was used. Much appreciated gentlemen.

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar
    No problem mate (I'm a novice too lol). Come back soon!

James