Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar

Audio issues on Desktop Computer

Read second post before you reply

I consider myself fairly technically minded when it comes to computers - I work in a computer repair shop, and sell computers to the public - so I would have thought that I could have solved this long ago.

Anyway, because it's audio, which I have a lot less experience with, I thought I'd better ask in here.

My desktop computer is mid-high on the power level. Decent graphics card and all that. I use it a lot, and would use it for gaming, but I need to increase the PSU so that the graphics card doesn't fry, which I haven't done yet (it once got up to a staggering 90C+ once)

My sound card is a Creative Soundblaster X-Fi XtremeGamer, and my speakers are Creative Inspire T7900's (7.1 capable, but only 5.1 plugged in - not enough space).

When I play some music, for example through iTunes, after mere minutes it starts coming through with clicks, pops, and random distortions. After another couple of minutes like this, it cuts out with either silence, or a high pitched tone. If it's the silence, and I start playing music again, the process starts again (clicks pops etc). If it's the tone, then I have to restart my computer.

The case itself has 2 audio inputs on the top, but I've disconnected these from the motherboard to make sure these weren't interfering with it, plus I disabled it in the BIOS (onboard devices).

As I reinstalled XP the other week, I had to reinstall my drivers. I've currently 2 detected but not installed devices in Device Manager. One is called 'PCI Device' and the other is 'Unknown Device'.

On my PCI slots, I have my graphics card and my sound card - both drivers are installed perfectly fine as far as I can tell. The location for this device is given as "PCI Slot 7 (PCI bus 2, device 0, function 0)" - as my sound card is on the lowest slot available (a PCI-E slot) I'm assuming it's this that isn't installed, but I don't know what else I can do to install it. Hardware ID is "PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2360&SUBSYS_82081043&REV_02"

The unknown device is given as "on PCI bus" - that's it. Some other info is the hardware ID given "ACPI\ATK0110".

Audio Files: http://www.clantigercommunity.com/audioissues/

For some reason the files wouldn't attach to this post...

Pictures will be online soon.

Thanks for any help gained guys.

James
    Last edited by lake54; 1st Jul 2009 at 11:41. Reason: Added Links

OK I found my original driver disk, and installed the drivers and software off of that. After a bit of tweaking and customisation after a couple of restarts, I haven't heard any clicks or anything yet. Music sounds awesome :-) bit of bass redirection never hurts

The two detected-but-not-yet-installed devices are still there, but everything seems to be working apart from my first DVD drive, which hasn't for ages, so I'll try and load up a game and see what happens

Thanks anyway,

James

Sigh

Just been on my game, crashed twice, so still not quite fixed yet.

Also seemed to have graphics issues as well - 1 example http://twitpic.com/8zcjp
    Last edited by lake54; 1st Jul 2009 at 22:37. Reason: Blue Addition

OK I've been speaking to one of my colleagues at work and he's identified the Unknown Device as an ACPI driver (chipset etc) so I've got ahold of a universal driver disk which I'll try tomorrow morning.

The PCI Device I managed to grab some info off of the internet that it's a SATA controller (JMicron), or to do with my audio, which could explain the issues I've been having.

The driver for the PCI device (Audio) is supposed to be this: http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/SOU...on-Audio.shtml which again I'll try tomorrow.

Will update this thread with the results.

James

I hate my computer

Installed drivers from www.driverpacks.net - this correct the unknown/uninstalled drivers. After a restart, all are now installed.

However, my audio issues still remain. I daren't try a game yet, but actually the more I think about it the more I think I will lol.

Will post the results in a few mins, unless by some utter miracle it works. Which I doubt...

james