Thread: Hey

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar

Hey

Hey there,

First off, this is the second time I've typed this post from scratch - the first time my browser (Chrome 3.0.189.0) crashed...

Now I've gotta remember everything I wrote!

Comments: I found this site a couple of hours ago after searching for something on Google - I've been on it ever since! I've looked at 70% of the Video tutes, which are great for a 'beginner' like me.

About me:

I'm 16 (and a half if you're picky), work part-time in the real world at Fathom IT, and online at ClanTiger and NovaBoard.

I've got little camera experience, mainly gained from a project I'm working in which is creating a DVD based on people's views on terrorism and violent extremism. My role in the team (of 12) is to shoot footage (initially with a Sony PD150, but more recently the JVC GY-HD200), eventually edit it (we're still shooting stuff at the mo), and run the website.

If you want more info on that project, PM me or reply back ;-)

I'm hoping by posting here that someone can offer me a work experience 'placement' or some other sort of experience filming something - if you're looking for something to be filmed, I'll happily shoot it for absolutely free if you're fairly local, and you pay the hire charge (I don't own the cameras above - a company working with us is letting us use them for the project).

I manage websites as well, but haven't actually created a list as of yet, but will do in the future.

I had a much longer post before, about twice the length of this, so I know I've forgotten loads of stuff lol.

Please post back here, but otherwise I'll be in the Video Forum from now on :-)

James

Oh and also to add:

Editing Experience:

I use CS4 stuff, but not 100% clued up on it - I can get the basics done, and I can apply basic effects, but it's probably best to sum up by saying that 'I'm learning'.

James

Blog Entries
    Welcome James,
    Thanks for the info. Hope you'll like it here and get to make a connection that you want.

Regards,
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Thanks SC358 ;-)

Any tips on my other post in the Video Forum?

Also, last little thing, for the latest on 'me', check out my twitter feed: twitter.com/lake54

James

I've been looking at uni courses to see 'what they offer' and one of them came up on Solent Southampton University.

These are two of the courses:

http://www.solent.ac.uk/courses/unde...e_details.aspx

http://www.solent.ac.uk/courses/unde...e_details.aspx

I'm assuming that as more of a cameraman/editor type thing (i.e. more 'action-based') that the first link (Production Ops) would be better suited to me?

Also, I'm not saying that I'm going to Southampton, just that the site seemed to look easy to navigate etc (well done tech team)

Thanks for any help guys,

James

Hi there James,

Having a course with a bigger picture in mind is always helpful, where you might find your giftings in other aspects of production as well (directing, sound, producing, scripting). So I'd presume your ambition is to be a DP (Director of Photography)?

Welcome to MC
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Now you see that's kinda something I haven't thought of too much. I sort of know that DoP is a 'high' level in production, but how attainable is that (forgetting experience/knowledge etc). i.e. is it something I should be working towards, or hoping for?

Thanks for your help nagar.

James

Golly, you are on MC 24/7 aren't you?

I find shooting a team game. And in the team, there must be enough dynamism going around so iron sharpens iron. A DP certainly plays a critical role, along with the rest of the team, thus my suggestion. Most courses allows you to learn this.

The way to get better at camera works is 1. watch lots (of what others does) 2. do it (get out and shoot). No short cuts. And yes, if you do see yourself doing that in the long run, you should start working towards it. Some people start early, some people, a little later.

I just came back after a trip and my eating habits is getting cranky... I'm hungry... catch you later...
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

haha - I guess I am :-) Get email notifications, plus I'm off for the next 2 months (finished exams, wait for results, back to do alevels in september!)

Sure, I get what you're saying. I am creative enough when it comes to shots etc (or at least I think I am...), it's just the storyline etc. That's why I like having writers lol.

I've been watching Glastonbury on the TV for 2 reasons this year - 1) music 2) watching the OB guys do their thing. I noticed they had a camera on a jib for mainly crowd shots, but also some stage ones. One on a dolly for moving stage shots. 1 roving camera along the front row. At least 2 cameras on stage, for closeups of the talents. 1 RC camera on the front of the drum kit to get a shot of behind the lead singer, looking out over the crowd. 1 mid-range about halfway between the stage and the back of the crowd. 1 far camera, looking out over the whole of Glastonbury. Now that's a heck of a lot of cameras (8)!!!

I love watching how they do things, and you can see them already thinking of the next shot to take.

haha kk - I had my lunch before so on a game atm, then back onto MC!!!

james

Hey guys,

Sorry I haven't been around much (at all?) for the past month or so - lots of stuff going on

Just wanted to share with you how much I feel that I've improved over the last few months working in this project. The videos are both on Facebook, so if you can't access them I'll have to try and wangle the permissions slightly, but I've been told that they work.

The first link is my first ever 'proper' shoot at a conference, launching several projects, including ours, around September or so last year.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=92087915573

The second is the first draft edit of a short story being included on the DVD, shot only last week.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1209978014073

Video 1

Shot using a Sony PD150, initially on a tripod, but then mostly handheld. Again, this was my first time filming so be nice! It was heavier than I was expecting too! All automatic settings.

Video 2

Shot using a JVC GY-HD200E, mainly shoulder mounted, some 'underslung'. Mostly manually controlled, focus & zoom. One bit is tripod mounted, but again most is handheld. He also seems to have used the worst bits of the footage - I just kept rolling in some parts as I was reaching over people and furniture, and he's put in the dodgy footage, so it wasn't all like that I promise!

Feedback would be appreciated :-)

James