stephanee

BETA ? what is it

I'm new here. Can you explain what a " beta " download is , why i should take it or not. I'm on Vista. Thanks for your help.
    Stephanie

Hi there. Beta's just a short term for Beta testing. Done before an official launch, often to check market demands and troubleshooting.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Quote: nagar
    View Post
    Hi there. Beta's just a short term for Beta testing. Done before an official launch, often to check market demands and troubleshooting.
    Yep, that is a very good explanation. One that the folks at Cuil should have used before they launched.

Beta testing is the stage where the company is wanting to relise there software/hardware.

But needs testing out side of the lab so to speak, this is where we come in, we sit there playing with this new software pusing it to it's limit and trying to mess it up, if we can (most of the time with a Beta you can mess it up) we then send in a bug report about what happend.

Let's look at MicroSoft, Vista Beta (Code Name Longhorn) was only for MSDN (MicroSoft Developer Network) and people like you and me was not able to have a copy of it.

You know all the hype about how some love vista and some hate it, it not working with some programs and working with other's and so on, well MS did a really good thing this time if you will.

This time they let people like you and me play with there new OS, this in turn will give them about 8 millian beta testers, can you see this is a lot of people playing with this new software, they get to find out what will and wont work with it and also what the end user want's, plus also getting the people who are beta testing the new OS (Windows 7) to want to move to the OS when it get's GM'd (Gold Mastered).

But just think about it, if you do use a beta software or hardware, it could mess up your narmal day to day thing's so be carful about using a beta, as you may not like it if it gose really wrong.

hope this give you more insite in to what a Beta is if not go here Wikipedia Software release cycle
    Be curious always! For knowledge will not acquire you; you must acquire it.

A test for a computer product prior to commercial release. Beta testing is the last stage of testing, and normally can involve sending the product to beta test sites outside the company for real-world exposure or offering the product for a free trial download over the Internet. Beta testing is often preceded by a round of testing called alpha testing.