Transfer from mini-dv to computer...

I have a Panasonic PV-DV100 mini dv recorder that I bought maybe 3 years ago give or take a few months. Until now I didn't have a computer with a firewire connection so I never got to try it. I recently bought a Gateway notebook with the firewire connection, but when I connect the camera Windows doesn't recognize it and I have not been able to get it to. I've fought with it and contacted both Gateway and Panasonic's support, but to no avail thus far.
    Does anyone have any clue what the problem might be? Am I missing a driver? Is my camcorder not compatible? Software issue?

Blog Entries
    Your camera should certainly be compatible. What did the support teams say? Which version of Windows are you using?
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Well the support teams for both parties seemed rather uninformed and ill-educated. The Panasonic people say it should be working and (more or less) that I need to contact the computer manufacturer. The Gateway people had me install a driver of sorts from their website. That didn't help so the next guy wanted me to reinstall the iEEE 1394 driver from the restore cd that came with the computer. (Now I haven't done that as of yet mind you, largely due to my own stubborness. The entire computer was restored from that very disk the same day that I first tried connecting the camcorder so I don't think that's the issue...)
    I am running Windows XP Home.

I could contact the Gateway people again, however I feel that I might get further talking with people on a forum like this than I would with a young fellow on the support team who doesn't really know that well what he's talking about (or so it seemed).

It wouldn't surprise me if there's a setting on the computer that I'm overlooking. I have checked the status of the iEEE 1394 port and Windows says that it is working ok. If I had another firewire device I would be able to find out if it's really working properly or not, but I don't have another one. Is there another type of firewire device I could buy that would be inexpensive (just for a check on the port)?

Blog Entries
    The next step would seem to be finding out whether it's the camera or the computer. You've got the right idea thinking about a cheap Firewire device but you shouldn't have to spend money trying to fix this. Maybe you could take your notebook into a computer shop and ask them nicely if they could try a firewire device for testing proposes. It should only take them a minute.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

I hear you. Can you think of anything else I can try in the meantime?

I still can't believe I haven't got this working yet. It's been several weeks now since I started. I never expected to have so much trouble with it. I figured Windows would pick it right up and I'd be transferring video immediately. boohoo

Blog Entries
    I'm afraid I'm stumped. It should work

Maybe someone else can be more helpful...
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Bob der Builder

Mr

Am I being blonde...but you dont mention it... but you do have a piece of software on your Pc that when you connect the Camcorder via Firewire, you use the Software application to extract the video from camcorder to PC.... Try Pinnacle Studio v8.0....

I have Windows Movie Maker. That is all. When I try to use it, it simply says there is no device connected to the computer.

Explodin' Eddie
    You may need to set up the camcorder for PC connection.