Thread: Best Sub hookup

Best Sub hookup

So I have some nice 2 channel stereo gear, a preamp with one pair of of the usual rca outs and a pair of balanced XLR outputs. I already us the XLR outs to hook up my stereo amp. My new Sunfire sub has a single xlr input.

So question: Should I split the XLR outs with two Ys and go to both my amp and the sub with balanced? I would need to go stereo to mono for the sub with another XLR Y connector. Or am I better off just using the usual rca lines in stereo from the preamp to the sub?

Also, anyone have a source for very well shielded rca interconnects very short-say 1 ft?

Thanks

Hi, Cpick

Let me throw a few things at ya. You didn't say what the gear is, so I can't say but what not to do.

1.It's really not a good idea to parallel balanced (or any, for that matter)loads without compensating for the impedance change. You may not hear much of a difference but the electronics will feel it and complain at some point.

2.RCA is not balanced. But I think all Sunfire subs have RCA's, so I would connect to those. RCA L & R to RCA L & R. If not, check the owner's manual. Check it anyway!

Short cables? I have no idea. I make all my own cables.
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'