Baby Angel

Which Cable & Audio Connector are Better?

Hi to All!!

I bought Peavey FX24 Mixer for our church & I want to know what cable (balanced or unbalanced) & connector is advisable for instruments like guitar, keyboard, etc.?

Which one is better for Mixer to musical instruments connection? Both end 1/4 jack connector (LINE from Mixer to instrument), or XLR (mixer) - 1/4 Jack (instrument)?

Sorry guys, just a newbie...

God bless..

Bless you for your service! and welcome to the forum.

Probably the best way is to go balanced inputs all the way. Keyboards usually have balanced outputs, so a direct connection is no problem. This is usually a 1/4 trs (tip-ring-sleeve) plug.

For unbalanced instruments like guitars I suggest a direct box. This little gadget converts the unbalanced signal to balanced, so you can take advantage of the noise cancelling capabilities of a balanced system. Use an unbalanced cable from guitar to box (1/4 tip-sleeve) then a balanced cable from box to board (xlr).

Hope this helps. Let us know what else ya need!
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'

Rule of thumb: If it can be balanced, make it so.

Balanced signals are the way to go.

Direct boxes, etc... to balance instrument lines, and using TRS cables for other 1/4" connections that are balanced.

Baby Angel
    Quote: penniesfromheaven
    View Post
    For unbalanced instruments like guitars I suggest a direct box. This little gadget converts the unbalanced signal to balanced, so you can take advantage of the noise cancelling capabilities of a balanced system. Use an unbalanced cable from guitar to box (1/4 tip-sleeve) then a balanced cable from box to board (xlr).

But is it OK to use a balanced cable directed from board/mixer (XLR) to the guitars & keyboard using a Mono Jack (1/4"TS)?

Or a balanced cable using both end 1/4 Tip-Sleeve (Mono) from Mixer (LINE) to instruments?

A BIG THANKS to you Sir!!!

No to both questions. Use direct boxes. Don't try to plug unbalanced stuff (high impedance or Z, 10,000 ohms, 1/4" ts) into balanced (low Z, 300 ohms, xlr or 1/4"trs) inputs.

Guitars are hi z, and do not have enough strength to drive a line input correctly. Cool?
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'

General rule: if it's high impedance unbalanced, it isn't meant to go more than, say, ten feet. Long unbalanced lines, especially high impedance, invite trouble.

If you must feed a balanced output into an unbalanced input, you need a specially wired cable. You can find out about that by searching this forum, but the safe way to go is with a direct box, which also gives you a way to eliminate ground loop hum.

Electric guitars, as a rule, should only be plugged into guitar amps. The amps do a lot of tonal coloring, without which the raw guitar signal sounds lifeless. Then take a direct box to patch the amp's output into the board, or use a high quality mic in front of the speaker - the speaker itself is often a large part of the characteristic sound you want.

Bassred: That sounds like a slogan that should be set to music. (To the tune of Olivia Newton John's "If You Love Me Let Me Know")

If it's balanced, leave it so.
    Balanced is the only way to go!...

Quote: karl eilers
    View Post

Bassred: That sounds like a slogan that should be set to music. (To the tune of Olivia Newton John's "If You Love Me Let Me Know")

If it's balanced, leave it so.
    Balanced is the only way to go!...
    Oh no!!! I think I can write a symphony around this, May I, please??

Baby Angel
    Quote: penniesfromheaven
    View Post
    Oh no!!! I think I can write a symphony around this, May I, please??
    Hahaha!!

Thanks guys!! I'm so thankful to have you all.. I'm learning now and started to love this kind of stuff...

Hopefully I can help you also in other areas....

God bless..

Hey, didn't mean to get ya addicted to this stuff, but glad you are.

There's a way-old song (1914) called "abba dabba honeymoon." Maybe crazyaphz could do one called "abu dhabi honeymoon."

Let's see, a balanced symphony would be one by Haydn. I wonder what an unbalanced symphony would be. Oh yeah, one by Schumann. (He died in an insane asylum, you know.)

Okay, this is getting out of hand. I'll stop now.