Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar

Which way round?

In general, is it better to have:

A light background with dark text, or

A dark background with light text?

The dark colours are the same, and the light ones are the same - I just need to get them the right way around.

This is the dark colour Hex value: #173559

This is the light colour Hex value: #6EBFEC

Thanks,

James

There is no "general" best practice at that point, what matters is that the text is readable to visitors.

Web Site Designer and Pro

re: colors

The background brightness to choose depends a lot on the general theme of the website. Your background is going to take up a lot more space and be much more "in your face" than the text, so think about what background color to use first, then the text color. If the general theme is a bit darker than use a darker background with lighter text. If the site has a lighter ambiance, use the lighter background color with the darker text.

Blog Entries
    I'd lean towards dark font on light background for blocks of text. Perhaps you could reverse it for headings. Hard to say for sure without seeing the actual page content though.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

I actually prefer a soft look and feel of the text, or even the layout it self. That may however not be what everyone wants, some people are also color blind and what not.

To create this soft appearance, you have to chose colors that are closer together for the layout, but just far enough to still create a contrast, which maintains the readability of the text.

Maybe some of you have noticed it already, how some blogs in paticuler, make use of this style. I'm not sure how color blind people will react though.

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar
    Thanks for all your advice - I've been on holiday which is why I haven't replied (had to get that in - I'm a jammy so and so lol)

You can see the 'finished' website at www.bobthebinman.com

It isn't fully finished, and I did in fact rush it to be ready for when I went on holiday, so it needs tidying up (for example in the iPhone Safari browser the footer is a little off) but apart from that it's 'ready' for the majority of peeps.

As you can see I played around with the colours a bit - criticism welcome!

James

Some cameras have a simple tilt sensor that determines which 90 degree orientation you have it at so it can rotate shots for you. No it wouldn't work with out gravity because really with out gravity any way can be up with people on the floor and the celling really.