Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar

Reviews/Views etc on Sanyo VPC-FH1

Has anyone got any experience with a Sanyo VPC-FH1 camcorder? I'm thinking of getting one (well, the family is) and I can get good deals on Sanyo stuff.

Here's the official site link: http://uk.sanyo.com/Products/View/VPC-FH1

I'd appreciate any feedback today rather than during the week, as I need to order it tomorrow in time for when I go away (this Sunday - Lanzarote for 2 weeks, lucky me :-)

Thanks,

James

Hi James,

Little cameras like that these days normally pack a good punch, the only thing I would say is that I am no fan of the SD memory card that it records onto. I used one once and hated it, good old miniDV tapes are still my favorite.

Have you looked at the Canon HV20 and HV30 range, they are excellent.

Tom

Thanks for your reply.

Don't worry - I know that little cameras aren't going to be as good as the bigger brothers that you're all used to. All this is going to be, if I can get it, is a family camcorder, used solely for holidays etc. I might use it myself to get some sample footage if needs be, but it's not going to be used professionally etc.

The Canons look a little out of my price range (I can get the Sanyos at trade price + VAT, so that's why I've gone for them. They're the only brand that the supplier do I'm afraid, and this is the highest spec one, bar the gun-style H2000 or something, which I'm sure I'd hate),

Thanks once again.

James

Hi James,
    I don't personally like the 'All In One' video and still camera. Max 32GB SD Card and I cant' tell what format the video is recorded in. I still recommend DV Tape for video, it is virtually problem free and easy to capture and edit. But it all depends on what the expectations are. If you dont' plan on editing the video then you will probably be fine.
    2 x Dual Core Xeon 3.0, Premiere Elements 1 - 7, Premiere Pro CS3, After Effects CS3, Soundbooth, Heroglyph, Vitascene, EncoreDVD http://muvipix.com

Be sure to check out the reviews at Amazon, good information from real users of the equipment
    http://amzn.com/B001Q3M9PY

There are 35 reviews so you should be able to get a good feel for the camera.
    2 x Dual Core Xeon 3.0, Premiere Elements 1 - 7, Premiere Pro CS3, After Effects CS3, Soundbooth, Heroglyph, Vitascene, EncoreDVD http://muvipix.com

Regarding the format, it's MPEG4.

Also, I know what you mean about the tapes etc, it's just that for a family camera etc, it's going to be much easier to deal with, otherwise it'd be a pain. Plus, it's easier to get the footage off of the camera and onto a hard drive, rather than letting it capture for ages.

Also I again know what you mean about the all in ones. My family currently has a Canon something or other, but that's getting fairly old, and it's 5MP, compared to the supposed 8MP in the Sanyo, and an extremely old, heavy, no-battery-life-left-at-all home camcorder, that's so old I wouldn't be able to move the dust off of it to tell you the model etc. I think it's a JVC though.

Last thing, my mum has just got home and said that there's not much chance of us getting one, because it's too expensive. I say it represents good value, because it's 2 in 1 (OK, not technically because there are trade offs) and it's a million miles better than anything we've got.

James

Honestly megapixels is not that big an issue in video cameras.. even in terms of still camera, you need to consider the ratio of the size of your CCD/CMS chip:megapixel rather than how many megapix so-and-so camera has.

Example (if applicable in this matter)
    If you shoot essentially in daylight, with the options a 1/6" packing 8megapix versus the same packing 5megapix, I'd choose the former. IF you do shoot in low light (considering indoors too), I'd choose the latter.

I will try to do a write up on this on the photography forum, but for now this is just my 5 cents' worth.

Enjoy your holidays.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore