Thread: Subs/EQ?

Subs/EQ?

Hello all!
    I just purchased a new set of subs for my small PA. They have a built in crossover in them set at 120. My question is.....
    Is in necessary to EQ the sub out from the board or just run full range out of the board straight to the sub amp? I'm thinking that I can EQ out the lows a bit to the mains and not have to worry about the subs with the internal Xover. Any thoughts?

Well, if the crossover is worth it's salt, you have nothing to worry about as far as sennding it a full range signal. It is simply a filter, and whatever it doesn't except dies in ground-world. No work done, no power expended.

On the second part of your question, it depends. Will there be phasing/standing wave problems in the low frequencies, if both the subs and the mains are shooting out the same freq's. This, you will have to play with, I imagine.

Get it all set up, plug in a CD of music that you know how it should sound, walk around, check out how it sounds , and adjust it. I've done alot of PA work where the mains put out full range and the subs are just subs, but I've had to be careful about placement. It won't work all the time.

There again I don't know your situation. Would you care to be more specific as to to venue?
    Last edited by penniesfromheaven; 9th Jul 2009 at 00:17.
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'

Thanks for your input penniesfrom heaven.
    I do really small clubs and an ocasional outdoor party. The small clubs, we cram all the gear on a small stage and have people practically sitting on the cabs. I'll pole mount the mains over the subs. Outdoors, everyone is drunk and it is just a matter being loud enough.

Cheers
    Rob

I've done alot of small environments also, and it should work just fine with the mains at full range. Blast 'em, Rob! Nastrovia! (cheers in Polish).
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'

Nastrovia!