Help with 1/8 jack wiring

Hey all,

I'm doing a project for a friend. He has a megaphone in which there is an off/on switch to switch from using the microphone, and then using a siren.

We want to hook up an MP3 player to the megaphone, and disable the siren. I figured we can do this by interrupting the siren hot signal and replace it with the MP3 player signal.

I've gotten everything down to where it will work, I believe, but am having a little trouble figuring out how to wire the 1/8" jack. It will be using a standard 1/8 to 1/8 TRS cable plugged into the mp3 player.

On the switch (since the whole megaphone is monaural), there is a ground wire, and a hot wire. I'm assuming I would hook up the ground to the sleeve, and then hook up the hot wire to either the ring or the tip? I was thinking of the tip.

Does this sound correct and it would work, or would anyone be able to suggest something else?

I thought I'd reply to my own post as I got it working.

I took and attached the sleeve to ground, and the signal wire for the siren, to the tip and it worked like a charm.

Hey, I'm glad you made it work! Ya know, it's that spirit of experimentation that helps make the world a better place!

It somehow reminds me of a qoute I heard: "Reasonable people try to adapt to the world, unreasonable people adapt the world to themselves. Therefore, all progress is due to unreasonable people". G. B. Shaw.
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'