Thread: streaming

streaming

first i have to say, this is a great site with a lot of great information

but i've a question,
    i'm try to get a streaming video for a schoolproject.
    i've read the tutorial about streaming video, but i'm looking for the other methode i think.
    when you are watching the movie, you only download what you are watching and not the whole movie.
    so when you stop playing the movie, you stop downloading.
    Is that also called streaming ? And how can i create it ?
    thanks

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the comment about the site

Can you clarify exactly what you want to do - do you want it so that people don't have to download the whole movie?

In true streaming the user only downloads what they watch (plus some buffering). When they stop watching, the stream stops and nothing is saved.

Progressive download works pretty much the same, except that if the user watches the whole file it will be saved on their computer. If they stop watching before the end of the clip, their computer might save the part they have watched or it might not.

In download-only, the whole file must be saved before any of it can be viewed.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

In true streaming the user only downloads what they watch (plus some buffering). When they stop watching, the stream stops and nothing is saved.

this is what i want to have.
    but i've didn't found information about this kind of streaming.

thanks

edit: i've found a lite bit of information about true streaming.
    so you have to have a server to use that ?
    you gave some, but are there any free to use servers ?
    it would be stupid to buy a whole server for just a schoolproject.

Blog Entries
    You can buy or lease your own server if you want, but as you say, this would be a bit OTT for your needs.

A more realistic option is to sign up for a hosted streaming plan. I should point out that this is still a fairly serious step and I'm not sure if it would be worth it for a school project. You won't be able to get this sort of thing for free. If you have a look at our streaming services page under "Sign up for a hosted streaming plan" you'll see some examples of streaming plans.

To be honest I think you'd be better off going for a progressive download system. This looks and behaves a lot like streaming, mainly because you don't have to download the whole file to start viewing it, but without the cost of true streaming.

Do you know what format you'll be using?
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

format ?
    you mean quicktime or windowsmediafiles ?
    first we where planning to use quicktime (look much beter) but i've hear that it is very difficult.
    so now we will use windows.

but the problem is:
    our project is the that we create a site where you can buy a movie (like finding nemo or the gladiator) and watch it during 24 hours.
    so
    1: you may not download the movie to your harddisk
    2: it you just want to see the first 30 minuntes, you don't have to download the whole movie.
    and this is not prossible with progressive download
    do you know who we can fix it ?
    thx

thank for al the fast answers.
    it was very usefull !

True streaming video must be delivered from a specialized streaming server.
    isn't it possible to make our own server then?
    the streaming aspect of our project is quite important

so, if i understand it well,
    it is only possible to create true streaming if you have a special kind of server ?
    and you can only buy or lease them ?

Blog Entries
    Quote: camel
    format ?
    you mean quicktime or windowsmediafiles ?
    first we where planning to use quicktime (look much beter) but i've hear that it is very difficult.
    so now we will use windows.
    Yes, that's what I meant by format. I agree that Quicktime can be difficult to get the same results.

but the problem is:
    our project is the that we create a site where you can buy a movie (like finding nemo or the gladiator) and watch it during 24 hours.
    so
    1: you may not download the movie to your harddisk
    2: it you just want to see the first 30 minuntes, you don't have to download the whole movie.
    and this is not prossible with progressive download
    do you know who we can fix it ?
    Wow, that's quite a big project you're taking on. Can you clarify - is this a real-world project that you intend making public or is it a mock business project just for school? To be honest this isn't the sort of project for the faint-hearted or for someone who is new to the world of streaming video. Out of curiosity, how are you tackling copyright/distribution rights?

Anyway, it does sound like true streaming would be the solution for this project. If you are making a real business out of this you really need a true streaming service.

so, if i understand it well, it is only possible to create true streaming if you have a special kind of server ? and you can only buy or lease them ?
    Correct. You have the following options:
    (1) Buy or lease a server of your own, install the streaming software and manage it all yourself.
    (2) Buy or lease a server of your own, but pay someone else to manage it.
    (3) Sign up for a hosted streaming service on someone else's streaming server. This way you are effectively renting space on a streaming server.

Quote: Shadowchild
    isn't it possible to make our own server then?
    Yes, same answer as above. You install special software on your server to make it a streaming server.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

it's for school. everybody has a project and we have tis one.
    after we presented the project, we're not going to use it anymore.
    we don't know what we're going to do with the copyrights.

I think we'll have to install some software on our server then.. 'sigh'

ok, thank you very much
    you helped me very well !