Baby Angel

Help: Humming / waving sound

Hi there!! Good day to all!

Last Friday, I encountered a humming & a "waving" sound and still have a question where that sound came from? Actually, I directly connected the instruments cables (bass, electictic, drum pad, accoustic, & keyboards) to mixer.. Is that one of the reason why I got that sound?
    I have a snake cables but i did'nt use it.. I switched off the wireless mics but the problem is not from there.. Not even to the other wired mics...

If I'm going to use a DI, which DI is advisable to use, because when I search from the internet, there's an active & a passive units?

And how about snake cables? Is it OK to used snake cables, in substitute to DI?

I can be sure that the setting from my console/mixer is all ok but really had a doubt from my mixer to instruments connections..

Thankz!! God bless!!

Hi again Crazy,

Yea, sounds like its the instruments. In my last post back to you I said to use direct boxes to match the impedences. Don't skip this!

Active v. passive-there are a few active di's for specific needs, like Behringer's Ultra GI100 for guitar, if you don't want to mic the guitar amp, but I haven't tried it. But generally passive di's do the job.

Snakes are just multiple cables in one jacket with a box at one end housing all the jacks; it may include both low and high impedence cables, but it's just a handy fancy extention cord, and not a get-out-of-jail-free thing as far as noise and impedence goes.

Maybe you could be more specific as to the instruments and mics you want to hook up?
    Last edited by penniesfromheaven; 27th Jul 2009 at 20:23.
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'

Baby Angel
    Quote: penniesfromheaven
    View Post

Active v. passive-there are a few active di's for specific needs, like Behringer's Ultra GI100 for guitar, if you don't want to mic the guitar amp, but I haven't tried it. But generally passive di's do the job.

Snakes are just multiple cables in one jacket with a box at one end housing all the jacks; it may include both low and high impedence cables, but it's just a handy fancy extention cord, and not a get-out-of-jail-free thing as far as noise and impedence goes.

Maybe you could be more specific as to the instruments and mics you want to hook up?

Wow!! it's you again Sir!! My Hero!!

A great day to yah!!

I'm planning to purchase a DI unit, but what box can you suggest? Can I get 10 channel in one box? I want all instruments hooked in one box...

As of the moment, we are using 5 instruments (i.e lead guitar, bass, accoustic, keyboards, & elect. drums)

Thankz! I really appreciate your help!!

thanx, but as much as I might like the hero thing I'm really not one, I just do what I'm good at, and hope other people get something from my experience.

There are no 10 channel direct boxes that I am aware of, but there are some of less channels that are worth the $. I'm way too tired to put in links right now, but Sweetwaters.com has a sweet 4 channel di from Pro-Co, a local company here I worked for long ago. I think they are international by now.

The model is DB-4A, at around $300 American. I took part in the advertising layout for it and thoroughly put it to the test, and it passed my standards, (but by a slim margin). I think it is worth the coins, but there are so many di's out there, and so many special uses, it is rather hard to recomend more than I have.

For a single instrument just get a Whirlwind IMP 2.

Staight electric guitar-Mic the guitar amp. (Shure SM58 or Sm57). GET THE G. PLAYER TO GET AN AMP!! DON'T PLUG AN ELECTRIC GUITAR INTO A PA BOARD DIRECTLY BECAUSE IT WILL SOUND LIKE CRAP!!

Acoustic/electric guitar- IMP 2, it has 2 outputs, xlr to the board, 1/4" hi-z to a monitor amp on stage.

Keyboards-1/4"trs straight to xlr on the board. No di needed except for maybe cheap Casios.

I don't know how much other info to give ya at this piont, so I'm going to bed. 'Night.
    Last edited by penniesfromheaven; 29th Jul 2009 at 04:32.
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'