can someone suggest a good hd video camera?

im gonna get a hd video camera but i cant decide what to get. is there such a thing as one that works well in low light and daytime conditions that costs around $1300? i am obviously prepared to spend more if i have to coz i doubt that $1300 will be enough, but i dont want to spend heaps of money (like $4000). i would also prefer that it uses hdv tapes rather than hdd or sd due to quality issues.

thanks

edit: even if its like a $10000 camera i still want to hear your suggetions because i want to know how much i will need to spend to get something that meets all the criteria
    Last edited by simoxiii; 5th Aug 2009 at 07:22.

The only pro-looking low budget HDV cam I know of now that still uses tape is the Sony HD1000 (around $2000 or less) However I didn't like the single CMOS sensor so I went to Panasonic HMC series !!!

Probably your best value for money without a doubt will be the Canon HV40!!! Still uses tape and gives a great picture and is BIG bang for your buck if you don't mind having a "domestic" size camera!!

Chris

If you can get your hands on a refubished or on sale HV20 or HV30 also would be a great deal. I've seen them as low as $600 USD in the past few months, that is an amazing price for a great HDV Camera.
    2 x Dual Core Xeon 3.0, Premiere Elements 1 - 7, Premiere Pro CS3, After Effects CS3, Soundbooth, Heroglyph, Vitascene, EncoreDVD http://muvipix.com

Quote: Chuck Engels
    View Post
    If you can get your hands on a refubished or on sale HV20 or HV30 also would be a great deal. I've seen them as low as $600 USD in the past few months, that is an amazing price for a great HDV Camera.
    im looking for something better than the hv20/30 and im definately not getting anything second hand i was considering getting a new hv40 but im looking for something that performs better in low light conditions, ive seen a few videos of it recording in low light and theres so much noise and discolouration its ridiculous. ill just have to go to a camera shop and get them to suggest stuff coz ive been looking for cameras for 2 months now and i cant find the right one. im looking at the sony hd1000 though and i might get that, we'ill see

Unless you are willing to spend over $3000 the low light issue is still going to be a problem. Same goes for the Sony as the Canon. The HV20, 30 and 40 are almost identical, very few changes and the quality between the three is identical.

Chris just bought two new HDV Cams
    2 x Dual Core Xeon 3.0, Premiere Elements 1 - 7, Premiere Pro CS3, After Effects CS3, Soundbooth, Heroglyph, Vitascene, EncoreDVD http://muvipix.com

Blog Entries
    Quote: simoxiii
    View Post
    ... but im looking for something that performs better in low light conditions, ive seen a few videos of it recording in low light and theres so much noise and discolouration its ridiculous.
    I believe you'll have to spend extra for this type of sensor. A sensor that gives good results in low light is not the norm - if it was, a lot of lighting people would be out of a job. This all comes down to, "supply & demand" which will effect your budget. I'm sure you'll find something but not at the price your looking for.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Hi Simoxiii

I took a long hard look and spoke to lots of people about the HD1000 (I do weddings and spoke to lot's of wedding pros too!!

The HD1000 is not a good low light camera due to the fact that Sony are just using the single CMOS sensor!! There are also reports that the downconversion from the camera is very poor. If you get that then beware of the dreaded rolling shutter if you take video in conjunction with photographers using flash. The camera also will give you image breakup on fast pans and if you bump it you have to contend with the "jello" effect.

However plenty people use them!!! It's a lot of camera for the money!!

I reckoned that the Panasonic HMC70 range are way better (I received both my cameras yesterday and I'm blown away by everything!!) A few extras you get (apart from being a 3 chip CCD camera) is better low light and a really stunning audio section!!! XLR inputs and normal inputs, line/mic/ phantom power/ manual level control for each channel etc etc.

It records to SD card which you will eventually have to move to anyway. The AVCHD format is tough on your computer but I just use VAAST Upshift to transcode the MTS format to M2t to make it easier on my editor.

Considering that both are in the same price group I figured that the Pansonic was a long way ahead!! However it's your choice!!

Chris

Quote: simoxiii
    View Post
    im gonna get a hd video camera but i cant decide what to get. is there such a thing as one that works well in low light and daytime conditions that costs around $1300? i am obviously prepared to spend more if i have to coz i doubt that $1300 will be enough, but i dont want to spend heaps of money (like $4000). i would also prefer that it uses hdv tapes rather than hdd or sd due to quality issues.

thanks

edit: even if its like a $10000 camera i still want to hear your suggetions because i want to know how much i will need to spend to get something that meets all the criteria
    Red is pretty good! But a little expensive. http://www.red.com/