Capturing Digtial Hi-8 and VHS

Hey all,

I'm in need of capturing a few Digital HI-8 tapes and a few VHS tapes. I have a GL-2 and was wondering if there was a way I can use this as a medium between tape source and computer. I have a Macbook Pro with Final Cut. If this won't work is there any cheap ($200 or less) equipment that I can pick up to do this job?

I'm looking to capture these in the highest quality that I can.

Thanks
    Chasen

Hi Chasen

If the GL2 has what is called "pass thru" then it has a built-in converter that will bridge the analogue in to digital out gap. If it cannot do a D/A conversion then take a look at the VideoGuys website and you will see a range of conversion units that will do the job. The Canopus and Datavideo units do a good job!!!

Chris

For the few VHS tapes I've converted, I've plugged a VCR into my DV deck, hit "Play" and captured the video in Premiere.

Am I doing this wrong?

Hey Clownfish

If you have a DV Deck that records that's a brilliant way to do it!!!!

Most people don't have that luxury but quite a few cameras will act as a DV deck and record video from the composite analogue input or pass it thru to the firewire connection for immediate capture!!!

If you need to edit the footage then both the above are good. However if you only need to store already edited VHS then an easy method is to hook a VCR to a DVD recorder and just copy from one to the other. Just bear in mind that the created VOB files don't edit very well but it's quick and easy!!!

Chris

Looking at the GL2, I can capture from a another source to tape. Meaning that I capture from a VCR to the GL2. I would then have to capture the tape to my computer. Will I be losing a lot of quality doing this?

Thanks
    -Chasen

Connect the VCR to the RCA jacks on the GL2, connect the GL2 via Firewire to your computer. Open Premiere, Movie Maker or WinDV, whatever capturing software you have (I guess that would be Final Cut in your case). Press play on the VCR and press capture on the computer, should be just about that easy.
    2 x Dual Core Xeon 3.0, Premiere Elements 1 - 7, Premiere Pro CS3, After Effects CS3, Soundbooth, Heroglyph, Vitascene, EncoreDVD http://muvipix.com

Quote: ParchedStudios
    View Post
    Looking at the GL2, I can capture from a another source to tape. Meaning that I capture from a VCR to the GL2. I would then have to capture the tape to my computer. Will I be losing a lot of quality doing this?

Thanks
    -Chasen
    You can connect your VCR to GL2 by RCA interface, then connect your GL2 to your computer thru IEEE1394, maybe usb, but usb transmission will lose some quality cause it doesn’t have enough bandwidth to transfer digital video.