joe.c

Audio with two vcr's

I've connected two vcr's together one being the source and the other the recorder and it works fine.

However, is there a way i can also add sound from my cd player or computer and keep the original sound from source as well (without a audio mixer)

I used RCA connections and coaxial.

hopefully this must sense
    please help me im stuck
    thanks
    Joe.c

Blog Entries
    Hi Joe,

In theory there are two possible ways to do it but don't get your hopes up.

If you want to add the CD audio after you've already recorded the video on the VCR, the only way to do is to use "audio dubbing". Unfortunately this is not a feature found on most VCRs. Have a look and see if you have it. Even if you have, it means recording the new audio on the mono track which is not good quality.

The other way is to record everything onto the VCR at once, including the ordinal video/audio and the CD audio. As you've guessed, the way to do this is with a mixer. You could try wiring audio cables together in a "y" configuration so audio from both sources gets combined in a single cable (or two cables - left and right). However I wouldn't recommend this at all.

To be honest I think you're looking at a mixer. I can understand you wouldn't want to fork out money for a single project but you can buy very cheap mixers at a lot of electronics stores. It wouldn't need to be a flash one.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

joe.c

Thanks - very quick reply

it looks like ill have to go for the mixer but thanks for the help anyway

I must add this site is easily the best media site i've been too.
    so good job!

thanks again
    Joe.c

Blog Entries
    Cheers Joe
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

audio mixers

Any Radio Shack store has audio mixers from four channel up to 8 and higher. I use a four channel mixer to dub in music and narration on channels one and two. You can dub in other audio sources on ch. 3&4.
    There are also Aux. ch 1, 2, 3, and four on the back of the mixer. Make sure that your source volume is down and your slide bars on the mixer are set half way or you might clear your sinus cavities the hard way. The price varies from $25.00 up to $199.00. choctawbilly