1920x1080 in a 720x576 (PAL)... HELP!!!! URGENT

Hi!

I used Sony EX3 to shoot some footage ate 1080i (1920x1080) an I wanted to use them on a 720x576 (an old 4:3 project).

When I do that, they loose quality, they look worse then footage made with a mini DV...why is this happening?

I tryed first to export them to 720x576 Progressive, didn't work, an then put I tryed to put them like in the original form an reduce them to use in 720x576 but i canīt seem to have a good result.

What should I do? How do I do it?

Can anyone help me?

Thks!!!

Alexandre

What editing software are you using to do the down conversion from HDV to SD?
    2 x Dual Core Xeon 3.0, Premiere Elements 1 - 7, Premiere Pro CS3, After Effects CS3, Soundbooth, Heroglyph, Vitascene, EncoreDVD http://muvipix.com

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar
    @eddiezhao - He has... spam?

Hi Alexandre,

You could try using the mpeg streamclip software http://www.squared5.com/

You could give it a go and see if it works, Iv used it for things like that before and its worked fine.

Tom

MPEG Streamclip is an excellent and not forgetting, free piece of software... a must-have on all my video related systems.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Alex,

Are you using MAC or PC? What Editing software do you use?

If a Mac and FCP 6: Compressor is an easy option as it has a preset to encode to DV PAL or DVCPRO50 PAL in Anamorphic or 4:3.

The issue you have is squishing the Frame aspect Ratio down to 4:3 (720 x 576) that with out a pan scan method of framing the footage, will elongate the 1920 x 1080 footage.

In FCP 6 you can mix and match footage and it wit place the black bars on the 16:9 footage and scale to fit the 4:3 aspect ratio.