How to connect RCA Audio to Analog PBX Port?

Hello,

I need to provide on-hold music to our Avaya G650 PBX via analog phone input.

Specifically, I need to connect an unbalanced consumer-level (-10dB) audio output (mono RCA) to an analog phone port on our Avaya PBX (TN793CP 24-port analog circuit pack.)

Actually, it appears my audio device can also be set to output balanced (+4dB) as well, if that makes a difference.

Something like connecting the tip/shield of the RCA to the tip/ring of the analog input.

In either case, I've read that you can't just hook them together without using a transformer for isolation.

Is this true, and if so, is there a way to construct something in-line that is relatively inexpensive?

In total, I need to connect 24 RCA's to 24 analog phone ports via 110 punchdown block. So, it seems I need to put 24 isolation transformers between each RCA and punch-down pair.

Is this something that is easy to build?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bob

Tricky question. and one that may best be answered by Avaya. These media gateways are, I think, beyond the scope of this forum.

If you get an answer from them as to specs, then yes, you can probably build iso xformers simply enough, but maybe not inexpensively. I believe they may have some sort of routing protocol you can download and a hardware add-on that will do it. but at 400+ pages of manual I'm not looking it up. Good luck!
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'

There are no rules any more regarding phone system connections. Some units can accept anything; others require transformer-isolated, balanced, 600-ohm sources. Call Avaya customer service. When you know what you can connect, then we can answer remaining questions.