hlep with old sony handycam

I have a DCR-trv250 digital 8. I haven't used it for awhile and decided to re-capture to my computer some old videos that I had made with this cam.

I put it into VCR mode and played back the tape.... No Video, No sound, no numbers on the screen to indicate it even sees any recording. The tape is moving, will fast forward/rewind with no issues.

I fast forwarded to the end of the tape and tried recording on it.
    Recording mode worked fine. It even plays back the new recording with no issues. Even new blank tapes record and play back with no issues.

I'm stuck... none of my older tapes will play in the VCR mode.

Anyone seen this issue before? If so... how do you fix this. I've tried everything to pulling the battery, reseting the unit, changing all the menu items.

Thanks

Ron

Are they Hi8 or digital8 tapes?
    2 x Dual Core Xeon 3.0, Premiere Elements 1 - 7, Premiere Pro CS3, After Effects CS3, Soundbooth, Heroglyph, Vitascene, EncoreDVD http://muvipix.com

Quote: Chuck Engels
    View Post
    Are they Hi8 or digital8 tapes?
    The old tapes HS 8mm. Last year when I veiwed them they all worked ok.
    Just weird now none of my old tapes no longer work (unless I re-record over them).

Even some tapes from work will not play back so I know the tapes themselves were not exposed to any magnetic fields....

Ron

A couple of guys at the muvipix forum still use older Sony Digital 8 camcorders. You could stop by and ask there too, someone may have run into the same problem at some point.
    2 x Dual Core Xeon 3.0, Premiere Elements 1 - 7, Premiere Pro CS3, After Effects CS3, Soundbooth, Heroglyph, Vitascene, EncoreDVD http://muvipix.com

Quote: Chuck Engels
    View Post
    A couple of guys at the muvipix forum still use older Sony Digital 8 camcorders. You could stop by and ask there too, someone may have run into the same problem at some point.
    Thanks.... I'll check it out.