Editing Sony DVD camcorder video

Hi all,

I have a client that wants me to edit some video for her, but it's in a really odd format. She has a Sony DVD camcorder, and when she pulls the files off the DVD for me, the video is not in VOB format, but in a .dat file format.

I have tried Nero and a half dozen other conversion programs, but nothing seems to recognize this .dat file. I even found some specific .dat converter programs, but I just get the message "mpeg stream not found".

Would anyone have any idea how to convert this to something usable?

Thanks

Do you have any idea how she is getting the files off of the DVD?

.dat is generally a database file.
    2 x Dual Core Xeon 3.0, Premiere Elements 1 - 7, Premiere Pro CS3, After Effects CS3, Soundbooth, Heroglyph, Vitascene, EncoreDVD http://muvipix.com

Sounds like shes doing something wrong, never heard about that before. Didn't there follow some wannabe ripping software which she can use to transfer the video from the camcorder?

I don't think you can convert a .dat file, it could contain anything. Who knows what sony might have put in it. I've had my own annoyances with sony's choice of formats, let alone file-systems.

A good source of information would likely be doom9.org, who mainly focus at open source applications to convert/rip video formats. And honestly, i haven't yet encountered a commercial app which equals the open source apps in stability and features. They are often direct rips of open source software.

The whole niche is flooded with useless commercial apps that doesn't even work in the first place, so beware of these scammers. They quite often create "converters" for formats which cant be converted in the first place. If the dat file was a mpeg2 file, then you would most likely have been able to just rename the file extension.

Quote: lingchih
    View Post
    Hi all,

I have a client that wants me to edit some video for her, but it's in a really odd format. She has a Sony DVD camcorder, and when she pulls the files off the DVD for me, the video is not in VOB format, but in a .dat file format.

I have tried Nero and a half dozen other conversion programs, but nothing seems to recognize this .dat file. I even found some specific .dat converter programs, but I just get the message "mpeg stream not found".

Would anyone have any idea how to convert this to something usable?

Thanks
    well, there may be some problems in the process of conversion, so you can try a better video converter which can convert videos to any other formats you want, like moya video converter, furthermore, this software adopts advanced audio and video sync technology...

all of my friends are using this one.

hope it helps!