Best digital voice recorder?

My Sony MD Walkman (minidisc recorder) just bit the dust. Don't know what I did, but it's been a real workhorse for me for five years. Now I need to replace it with a digital voice recorder that a can patch into from my Mackie 1202 mixer. What's my best bet? I'd like to spend no more than $500 if that's possible. I mainly need to record voice-overs for TV and radio commercials, but I do occasionally need to record live music too, so I need a very portable unit. I'd appreciate hearing what the resident experts advise. B&H recommended the Edirol R-09HR Portable High-Resolution Audio Recorder. Anyone have any experience with this unit, or another recommendation? Thanks.
    Last edited by Rickosovitch; 2nd Sep 2009 at 17:07. Reason: new info

I recommend you to have a look at zoom H4n. I buying this little "gadget" for sound-recording, because i'm tired of the sound at my handycam. It is really amazing what small detail it capture. You can read about it here: http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/index.html

With the H4n you get even more functions, and possibillity to use 4 mics at same time.

The price here in DK, is exactly the same.
    Last edited by justrace; 3rd Sep 2009 at 20:28.

The Zoom IS a sweet little recorder, and I plan to get one myself. A freind of mine has it , but he won't let me play with it. But I've heard the results, and it is worth the bucks. My only problem is that Edirol has better tech support.
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'

When I got mine, I have a problem with the ASIO-driver, because I'm running 64-bit Windows, and even that zoom has wrote on there site that they is on holliday this week, I got an e-mail-answer within 20 hours.

I understand your friend, he is worried about to not get it back because you wanna keep it.

Had a look at the Zooms. Decided the Edirol is a better solution for me. Thanks for the input.

I used Sanyo 378b digital voice recorder for journalistic purposes.audio engineering

this is what i use...

I use 'tascam' the sound it record is wow but I don't know how much it cost but I realy recomend you to use it.because tihs is what i use.

jingles
    I was really looking for this of information, Thanks you all guys here for cometting, I found this discussion really useful for myself.