What do you call that shaky hand-held camera style?

Hello camera operators. Can you tell me how you refer to that fake-amateur camera shooting style that's now being used in so many tv series and films (even the good ones ) ?

Apart from the actual terminology of the thing, which I really do need to know, why on earth has this become such a popular fashion. Personally I find it extremely irritating. It goes against all the old (breakable) rules about not interrupting the magic that we try to create for our spectators and when it's overdone, I actually get car sick. (grumble grumble grumble)

But please, how do the pros refer to it?
    Last edited by cinny ninny; 16th Sep 2009 at 13:53.

Blog Entries
    Hello cinny ninny,

Welcome to MC. The style is called, Cinema Verite. In the days before video and steadicam, many instances in documentaries were shot handheld with bulky cameras. Tripods weren't used when they had to shoot on the fly, otherwise they would miss their shots. Later with E.N.G. (Electronic News Gathering) equipment, it was still handheld if there was no other choice. Tripods would be used if there was enough time to do the setup.

It was not really shot this way with regular movies because it wasn't practical with heavy video or film cameras. However, I agree with and I find the style unnecessary and annoying myself in most instances.

SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Thanks SC. I've just googled cinema verité and there seems to be lots on the subject, though it's treated almost as a genre, which I guess it was when it began. As a movement it sounds interesting but as a shooting style I still think that unless really justified it's just trying to look cool and modern. Then again it sets an lower and easier level for camera operators. Maybe I can chuck my tripod .

Hi cinny and SC. Around last last week I attended this workshop organized by our university on guerilla filmmaking. I actually learned that this cinema verite is popular among guerilla and indie films. For them the moving and shaking means more life to the film and it makes the film more realistic. This of course means lack of equipment for us.

Blog Entries
    Mabuhay sin23 -
    I find it interesting to know how this style has been redefined. Hopefully, it would be used tastefully. I remember seeing the Blair Witch Project trailer on the big screen - it was the most annoying 2 minute effect I ever saw. There and then I decided not to see that movie.... ever.
    Last edited by SC358; 28th Sep 2009 at 01:44. Reason: gr
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Just watched The Bourne Ultimatum, which used the technique a lot. I think the idea was to give the impression of the viewer being in the scene, looking over the protagonists' shoulders, as it were.

Personally, I found it a bit distracting. Otherwise, the film was very tautly directed, and the Tangiers scene is one I'll be watching over and over, I think, as it's a brilliant piece of suspense.

With so many recent action movies striving for a sense of realism and intensity, we are seeing more and more directors attempting to use handheld and erratic camera movement as a way to inject energy into their scenes. When used skillfully and/or sparingly this can be very effective, but the downside is that it has been known to induce nausea and motion sickness in some viewers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGVz3HApAng