Regan

How do video cameras work?

hi, im from Western Australia and im in year 8. i am doing a science assingment on video cameras and i really want to know how they work... if you could tell me that, that would be great... or if you can, give me a website with info on it.. thanks.

Blog Entries
    Hi Regan,
    The answer you seek is much more complicated. Here's a great website to learn many things, including how cameras work. www.howstuffworks.com

Good luck & have fun!

SC358

Quote: Regan
    hi, im from Western Australia and im in year 8. i am doing a science assingment on video cameras and i really want to know how they work... if you could tell me that, that would be great... or if you can, give me a website with info on it.. thanks.

Blog Entries
    I'm actually surprised that there's not much information about this on the net. I'm sorry we don't have a tutorial on the subject here but it's a very good idea. I'll put it on the to-do list.

Unfortunately it's not the sort of thing that can easily be explained in a quick message, but the main things to understand about video cameras are:

Light comes into the camera through a lens.
    The lens focuses the light onto a special chip called a CCD (Charge Coupled Device).
    The CCD converts the light into an electrical voltage which becomes the video signal.
    The video signal is recorded onto a tape or disk, or gets routed to some other device.

Hopefully this will give you enough to get started. If you can do a bit of research into lenses and CCDs you'll have the basics covered. Everything else is just peripheral.

Good luck with the project.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com