Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar

Shooting a Live Stage Event

Hey again,

I'm going to be shooting my school's speech night, which is like an awards ceremony bundled with a musical section and a few (long...) speeches.

Date: TBC, May 2010
    Time: Onsite 12pm till 1am probably, actual event is about 7pm till 12pm
    Cameras: 1 x JVC GY-HD200E at the bottom of the stage during the event, plus a Sony PD150 at the rear of the hall getting wide shots.
    Extras: Possibly going to be using a dolly for the JVC, but the quotes I've been getting I believe will be too high.

So, two issues I can see:

- Dolly - the quotes I've been getting for the hire of 20m of track (could probably get this down to 15m realistically) and a Keywest dolly are around 270 for the day. Is this roughly what you would all pay? I've also been looking into making my own, but is it worth it?
    - Experience - I've never shot an event before, only really interviews and pre-scripted content, so do you have any tips other than planning? Especially with the dolly!

Thanks for your tips etc, and wish me luck!

James

Ok having spoken to the hall amongst other things I've decided to scrap the dolly plan because there isn't enough room, so I'll have to do my best to keep stable.

Will keep you updated!

James

Hi James

With wedding speeches I usually have the main cam with a radio mic on the lectern (or whever the speeches are made from) back to my main camera and keep the shots fairly tight. I then use my 2nd cam handheld and shoot plenty of audience shots and any other wide shots that are required. Remember the video is a closeup medium so a shot of a speaker from the back of the hall is really useless. Just use wides for entrance and exit and to establish the scene then get in close on any action and relieve any talking head boredom with cutaways to others in the limelight and lot's of audience cutaways!! There will be quite a few "Uncle Fred's" there who will film from their seat so you need to out-do them and have as little medium/wide shots as possible.

Chris

Actual photo shoot and video shoot needs entire preparation. Main cam should be handled properly by experts, so that video shoots will be equally taken including the moves, background, musics and speeches. Second cam will be merely used to take side events including the audience.
    Like in wedding coverage, main cam always in the center to take the particular events during the ceremony and the cam usually with a radio so that sounds and speeches will be accordingly emphasize.

Wow sorry I haven't responded - notifications spilt over into my spam folder. Overeager or what???

I'll try and get the PDFs and PNGs I've made plan-wise uploaded ASAP so you can criticize them :-)

I'm up to 3 PD150s on tripods, and one GY-HD200E, which will be shouldermounted during the event, and on a GlideCam Pro 4000 for pack shots prior and after (e.g. exterior shots, general shots).

James

EDIT: Plus I'm borrowing the IT department's Everio handycams to get fixed positional shots on the stage. I'm also filming the musical section rehearsal so that I can get onstage closeups etc into the final edit, without walking across the stage in the middle of the thing.