New member, pa questions.

Hi everyone, just stumbled upon this site today looking for advice on how to setup my new pa system I purchased last week. The people here seem very knowledgable, so I thought I would see if I could get a little help. First, let me list what I bought:

2-18" Cerwin Vega Earthquake passive subwoofers
    2-12" Mackie SRM450v2 active loudspeakers
    1-qsc rmx2450 amp
    1- Behringer XENYX 2442FX 24 channel mixer

Speakon, xlr cables, etc.

Now, I have never purchased a pa system before, so my knowledge is quite limited. Most of my expertise is in the studio. I'm looking for the best way to hook everything up, for both audio quality and reliable performance. The way I was told to hook it up from the person who sold it to me was as such: Main outs on mixer to Mackies, outs from Mackies to amp, and then outs from amp into the subs, each channel on the amp feeding one sub. I just wanted to see if that was correct, or if there is a more optimal way of doing it. Thanks for any help you can offer.

It'll work, but as far as I can see, no crossover has been supplied to split mid-bass and sub-bass frequencies to the Mackies and subs respectively. The salesman either doesn't have ears or thinks you don't. (Unless I'm not seeing something.)

The usual way to use subs with this Mackie unit is to couple it with the Mackie SWA1501 powered subwoofer. Signal is fed into the subwoofer, which has a built-in 120Hz crossover. Everything below 120Hz is fed to the subwoofer, right there, while signals above 120Hz are sent on to the SRM450s.

With the setup you have, there's a two-octave region of mid-bass frequencies, 75Hz to 300Hz, which will be reproduced by both the Mackies and the C/Ws. Aside from the crappy sound you'll get (because the subwoofers are reproducing sounds well up into the midrange, where they're not remotely flat), this wastes a lot of the Mackies' power and output reproducing signals the C/Ws are already handling.

Go ahead and use it this way for the time being. Activate the Mackie 75Hz high-pass switch, so the problem isn't any worse than it has to be. Pick up a stand-alone subwoofer crossover as soon as you can.

Thanks. Unfortunately they didn't have any crossovers available at the time of purchase, it's a pretty small store. Mostly this system will be for practice, and smaller gigs like parties and small venues without their own pa. They didn't have the mackie subs either, and we got an amazing deal on the c/v's, otherwise we wouldn't have bought something so large. We tried the setup with one sub and one mackie with the high pass activated, and it sounded pretty decent in the small area of the store, but I could hear room for improvement for sure. Is there any crossovers you or anyone else could suggest? And how would this be integrated into the sytem, i.e. at which point in the signal flow does the crossover go in? I would assume after the mixer, with the outs of the crossover going seperately to the mackies and the amp for the subs.
    Last edited by Bad Breakup; 22nd Sep 2009 at 20:44.

yep. As for recommended units, I have no preferences - maybe some other people here will.