Diane

suggestions for streaming media

Hi! Great site! I can't believe how easy some of these things are?!

Well, I do have a couple of questions. I'm interested in making a website that is going to stream media...audio and video. Could anyone suggest what formats to use to save me bandwith but not the worse quality? I'd also like to be able to hide the files from users so they are not leeching it - flash would be good then?

audio: wma, rm, mp3
    video: asf, wmv, ram, avi, mpg

All suggestions and comments are appreciated. Thank you!

Blog Entries
    I've seen something called Media Cleaner 5 by Discreet, would probably solve most of you problems. What's so great about it is that you can create different streams (i.e. 56K, Broadband and DSL) in one file - simultaneously!! You set all the parameters necessary for the bandwith you want. As far as I know, the material you choose for streaming cannot be copied by the viewer. The Mac versions of Media Cleaner seem to only able to do the different streams one at a time.

Oh and btw, I don't receive any compensations for mentioning the software or manufacturer.... sniff, sniff...

SC358

Quote: Diane
    Hi! Great site! I can't believe how easy some of these things are?!

Well, I do have a couple of questions. I'm interested in making a website that is going to stream media...audio and video. Could anyone suggest what formats to use to save me bandwith but not the worse quality? I'd also like to be able to hide the files from users so they are not leeching it - flash would be good then?

audio: wma, rm, mp3
    video: asf, wmv, ram, avi, mpg

All suggestions and comments are appreciated. Thank you!

When you say leeching, do you mean hotlinking (ie, people using your bandwidth to display the video on their site)? You can usually set up your web server to prevent this.

If you mean to prevent people from taking your video completely, you could always tag it with your site name in a corner.

Re: suggestions for streaming media

Diane,
    Here is my suggestions comment.
    But first, I am affiliated to this company and their products.
    Research it and see if it is useful to you:

With a VMDirect account, you can record video and audio and send to anyone (or post on your web site). The recipents does not need to download or have a knowledge of which media player is best. The system automatically packages your video in various formats and detects your recipents upload speed and packages your media appropriately for them (from slow dial-up to high speed access).
    Check out he following:
    For services and pricing:
    http://www.helloworld.com/US/Tour_Start.aspx?ID=c-bron

To learn more about the company and associated opportunity:
    http://www.getworldpassport.com/US/start.aspx?id=c-bron

Best regards,
    Copperman.