Terminology Question

Is anyone familiar with the phrase "Ratio of image to frame"?

I can't find a suitable definition for it anywhere.

Blog Entries
    You're right davidwc09 - no references for that term. Where did you come across it? Aside from looking in 4 (U.S.) engineering books - I'm not sure if it's used in production. I also thought it was used for setting up projectors but no luck. Now that I'm curious, I'll be asking around until someone gives an answer here.

May be it's a term from another culture, i.e. EBU (European Broadcast Union) or ISO (International Standards Organization)?
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Maybe the are talking about Aspect Ratio
    2 x Dual Core Xeon 3.0, Premiere Elements 1 - 7, Premiere Pro CS3, After Effects CS3, Soundbooth, Heroglyph, Vitascene, EncoreDVD http://muvipix.com

Thanks for the responses, guys. SC358, I appreciate you taking the time to look in manuals.

I'm taking a course Introduction to Video Technology, and the term is part of an extensive glossary.

Chuck Engels, the terms do seem related, but Aspect Ratio is listed as a separate item.

It seems to be taken from a list of terms one is expected to know in order to become a Master Teacher of Technology in Texas. As I've searched online for it, I've found it in other educator's standards, so I wonder if it comes from some central source like the ISTE.

But that's it. It seems to exist in some list that has replicated itself in educator's standards but nowhere else. The course instructor has conceded that he inherited the list of terms and as yet has been unable to determine a suitable definition or origin for the term.

[Insert jokes about educator's standards here.]

I'm playing around with the search terms for online searches but need to visit the university library and engage the help of a savvy reference librarian.

Thanks again.

Found this searching;

The video is steady with few pans and zooms. Close ups are used to focus attention. Video shows evidence of good composition (ratio of image to frame, line of gaze, pan/tilts, movement, and perspective).
    Is directly related to Camera Technique, so it would be the relationship of the subject to the frame. When you frame a shot you place the primary subject in the frame. Where in the frame you place the subject is dependent on what you are trying to accomplish and what you are trying to convey to the viewer.

http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&gl=us
    2 x Dual Core Xeon 3.0, Premiere Elements 1 - 7, Premiere Pro CS3, After Effects CS3, Soundbooth, Heroglyph, Vitascene, EncoreDVD http://muvipix.com

Blog Entries
    Excellent Chuck! I guess that explains why it's not in any of my engineering books. That makes a whole lot of sense to me now but by itself, it was hard to discern it's meaning. This not only is for film/video but it will also apply for those learning photographic composition.

A bust shot or close up only gives you details of your subject. A medium shot (from knees or hips to the subjects head) gives a viewer an understanding of subject and their environment. The wide shot or full shot is sometimes worth a thousand words. I'm just over zealous about your discovery...
    Let's have a drink!
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Excellent, Chuck. I will share a link to this thread with my classmates.

Chuck, I pay homage to your search skills.

Always happy to be of assistance
    I'll buy the next round