Thread: Newb

Newb

Okay i make short films all the time and have been using a Sony Handycam for about three or for years and since c-mas is coming up i need to what to ask for. I was thinking of the new JVC Hd cam but i'm not to sure so just lookin for advice.

Thanks

Blog Entries

Re: Newb

Probably best to tell us a bit more about what sort of shooting you do, what your budget is, your preferred shooting/delivery formats, etc.

The other thing is that the choice of video camera often comes down to personal choice. If at all possible, the best advice is to narrow down the choice to a few cameras within your budget and try them out for yourself.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Well i'm only in High school so i basically shoot films with friends and so i'm not looking for anything profesional but i don't want a lame consumer cam. My budget is probably max $2 thousand.

Well i narrowed the list but how do i try each one?
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Wow, I wish I'd had a couple of grand to spend on a camera when I was at high school

Trying cameras can be a real pain, especially if you're looking at something better than the average consumercam. I probably can't tell you anything you don't already know - visit whatever stores you can get to and ask to try the closest cameras they have to what you want. If you find an understanding store owner, you might be able to convince them to get a couple of cameras into the store for you to try out, then return the one(s) you don't want to their supplier. I've done this myself before but it's not easy.

If you have a shortlist of cameras you're interested in, post the list here and maybe a few people could offer their opinions.

One other thing - do you have the other things for a shooting kit, e.g. mics, lights, etc? If you have up to $2K to spend, you could compromise a bit on the camera and use a few hundred bucks to get some accessories. For example, a good tripod will probably have more practical value than the difference between a $1500 and $2000 camera.

Whatever you do, don't just buy a camera because you feel you need to have the best. Only spend your money on items or features that you are sure you will use.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com