Finding Work in the TV Industry

Hello to all,

this is my first post, having just joined. My question, if anyone can help me, is how do I learn quickly and effectively what employment is out there for TV camera operators. I live between Washington DC and Annapolis and so would be more interested in possibilities in this general area but am open to suggestions farther afield. I could go to the website of every TV station of interest and look at their jobs/careers area, but would prefer to avoid that if there is an easier way. I need this info for its own sake but also because I need to submit a list of several stations that are looking for that particular discipline at this time to an agency of my state government (Maryland) as evidence they require to approve the spending of money that they get from the federal government to help people re-train to a new career from whatever they were doing before (aerospace engineering for me). I can be reached directly at dsaldanawicca@yahoo.com. Thanks in advance for any help!

Blog Entries
    Quote: Drevor
    View Post
    My question, if anyone can help me, is how do I learn quickly and effectively what employment is out there for TV camera operators. I live between Washington DC and Annapolis and so would be more interested in possibilities in this general area but am open to suggestions farther afield. I could go to the website of every TV station of interest and look at their jobs/careers area, but would prefer to avoid that if there is an easier way.
    Greeting Drevor and welcome to MC.

There really is no "Only One Way" solution. Aside from the obvious of web browsing, which can give immediate and false info (I don't mean false as in lying, I mean old and obsolete info). Imho, although this may not be deemed as an easier way, just consider this as another way, which is to network. It's slower at first but at least you can get a foot in the door, rather than sit and wait for an email response. Check out SMPTE, NAB, and other industry associations. Most General Memberships meetings are free. You'll not only meet just people from broadcast stations but there are small and large production companies, post-production, museums, cable networks, system integrators, etc, etc, etc. Those who attend these meetings are trying to stay on top of what the industry and their collegues are up to. And then there are those who just want to hang out with boys (and girls) and tell their war stories over a couple

Hope this helps!
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

SC358 is right.

The best thing to do at first is to network, network, network. Print up some business cards with your name and contact information on them and be sure to write on there that you are a "Freelance Camera Operator." Look up industry associations in the DC, Northern VA and Maryland Areas close by and go to the meetings. As you meet other video professionals, tell them you are looking for freelance work as a camera operator and hand them your card and be sure to collect theirs. The other part of this process that can help to build your credibility is to have a one or two page website that lists your resume, project credits and samples of your camera work. Also, if you have any references or testimonials about your work, it would be good to put them on your site as well. After you return from the meetings, send emails to each person you met and tell them it was nice to meet them and include a link to your website. The link should also be on your business card but sending the email encourages them to take a look.

I've written several articles on how to find work in the video business so you should check those out when you get a minute.

Good luck! You are in a great market for freelance camera work. There are a ton of political events, concerts, etc. in that area so once you make a few dozen contacts in the business, you should do great!

---------------------
    Kris Simmons
    Video Business Entrepreneur & Coach
    http://www.mindyourvideobusiness.com

"Helping videographers attract more clients with bigger budgets!"