Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar

Panasonic AJ-D700E

Hey guys,

This camera has become 'available' for me to purchase second hand, and I was just wondering whether anyone had any experience with it at all?

And before you start having a go at me for buying stuff, it really is a bargain compared to other stuff I've been looking at. The guy has a few good cameras for sale - even a D900 and 200, plus a JVC DY-700E

The only thing is, I've been reading around and it appears that if I want to actually capture material at all, I have to use a deck for the tapes. Can this be any DVCPro deck, or does it have to be a particular one?

Or indeed, is there any other way?

Thanks for your help as always.

James

Looks like a great SD 4:3 camera
    I've used similar models in the past.

There is a Firewire Out Port for Capture directly into an editing application.
    Just need a Firewire port on your computer and a cable.

DVCPro tapes record faster than a MiniDV tape, so you have to capture with the camera. You will get about 48 minutes per tape rather than 60 but the quality is amazing

Pretty sure this model does not shoot Widescreen 16:9, only 4:3
    2 x Dual Core Xeon 3.0, Premiere Elements 1 - 7, Premiere Pro CS3, After Effects CS3, Soundbooth, Heroglyph, Vitascene, EncoreDVD http://muvipix.com

Hi Chuck,

Hmm didn't notice that I have to admit. Prefer widescreen, but as I'm just starting, it doesn't matter too much I guess!

Still can't find any reference to firewire on t'Google, but I did find something about Analogue Out, which I also found something about you can get an analogue -> firewire cable? Don't know how much is fact/fiction though. Pity there's not much on the internet about this model. Couldn't even find the manual on the panny website! (and yes I did try the bc one as well)

I seem to get about 40 minutes on a DV tape anyway, so the timing doesn't matter too much for me :-D I'm used to it by now!

Thanks once again. Anybody know about the connections though? That is definitely going to be the crux of my decision.

James

OK the person that is selling it has confirmed 4:3 and no firewire... although he keeps saying that it can capture to PC etc, so I'm still digging to find out exactly how (yeah I know, I'm a noob )

The 200 and 900 are 16:9 native, but switch to 4:3 too.

James

According to the seller:

Any editing computer has video inputs via composite input cables so you play directly from the camcorder or from a recorder into your edit suite.

Now, problem is, my computers/laptops aren't proper edit suites. Is it just a case of getting a capture card with a composite input?

My desktop rig is out of action anyway (long story) so I'll get it patched up first, then take a look at it, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have that input, which appears to be the only way of capturing the footage from the camera.

He's also let me know the reduced price for the 900 (without a lens) but it's still too high. The 200, to be picky, does look slightly old and probably twice the weight of the 700. He also keeps trying to sell me this JVC lot, but I'm not going for it because again it's really too much.

I also still need to make sure that I have the money to pay for the damn thing. I think I only have physical access to like a quarter of it, so I'm going to do some heavy convincing with my parents tonight... who probably won't want to get it so it'll be another opportunity out of the window... hmm...

Perhaps count it as my christmas and birthday presents rolled into one? Wish me luck!

James

Quote: lake54
    View Post
    According to the seller:

Any editing computer has video inputs via composite input cables so you play directly from the camcorder or from a recorder into your edit suite.
    This is totally not true James. I am wondering if the seller knows anything about the camera.
    Any DVCPro camera should have a Firewire connection, Sometimes just called DV on the camera.
    2 x Dual Core Xeon 3.0, Premiere Elements 1 - 7, Premiere Pro CS3, After Effects CS3, Soundbooth, Heroglyph, Vitascene, EncoreDVD http://muvipix.com

You can do a lot more with a Canon HV40 than you can with that Panasonic at a whole lot less money. The Panasonic will have a lot better quality in low light but in good light you won't be able to tell much difference. The HV40 is High Definition video and gives you widescreen.

I guess it depends on what you will use the camera for. Personally I wouldn't go for a camera that old anyway, not at the price I am sure they are wanting for it. Especially if it doesn't have a Firewire connection which would make it an extremely old unit.

No dv connections, only get these on very expensive versions when using
    broadcast grade camcorders

Always buy a converter to convert the video out to dv if you really wanted
    or playback the tape from a VTR which has DV out
    hmmm... Bit odd this I must say.

Will probably look around a bit more instead. Just as a reference, the cost was not too much more than the Canon you suggested. The reason I'm interested in a 'larger' camera is to get more experience with focus and the like.

Will look a bit more and repost.

Actually, just thought, my school happen to have a PD150 that seems to be in decent nick. Has a softie, portabrace carry bag, one small battery, one medium, and one brand new large capacity batteries.

How much would you pay for this as a guide? I'm thinking of asking the school if I can buy it off of them. They've got another one but I think it's broken.

Cheers Chuck.

James

Hi James

The seller is actually correct!!!

Quite a few of the Panny DVCPro cameras came without firewire. Most TV studios used these as field cameras and had the companion desktop player which did have firewire so they could bring in field tapes and transfer them.

Unless you have the transfer desk, rather leave this one alone!!!! They go here pretty cheap as well!! but only 4:3 and only analogue out!!!!

Rather look for a old PD170 or DVX100 so you have 16:9!!! Also DVCPro tapes are costly too!!!!!

Chris

Cheers Chris :-D

Right I've left that one well alone, but asked if he wants his website doing up for free in return for a discount off of the 900 (there hasn't been a reply for a long time now lol. Usually he's pretty fast at replying!)

I've just spotted on another website a PD170 with 150 hours from new for 1184 (could probs knock a little off that though).

On the same website, I've spotted a few around 1000 (by the way, I'm not saying I can afford this - I haven't even got the cash, I'm just looking at the moment). These are the ones that are within my price range:

Sony BVW 400AP (unknown condition/lens) 1026
    Sony DNW 7P (without lens) - 671

Either of them worth looking into? I could probably get a lens bundled into the second one to make it around 1K hopefully.

Again, just want to say that the thousand pound mark is only a guideline at the mo - I still need to save up!!!

Also @Chris - loving the overexaggeration of the exclamation marks :-) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers for your help guys. It's much appreciated.

James

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast