Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar

Filming at a Tech Exhibition

I doubt anybody will have heard of it, but the Gadget Show (a UK TV show on Mondays @ 8pm on Five) holds an annual tech show at the NEC in Birmingham.

I also happen to write a few articles a month for a decent tech website, and they've got me a free ticket to go down for a day or two to get interviews with the presenters and the (gadget!) exhibitionists.

Has anybody got any particular tips or advice for shooting in a crowded environment, other than making sure audio is good, and that nobody knocks into the camera...?

I'll either be using a PD150 or JVC GY-HD200E, most likely the former, but I'm hoping for the latter.

Cheers!

James

Blog Entries
    In regards to audio-be prepared to go wired or wireless. If it's possible select a quieter area to interview and shoot. Use a handheld (unless you're using lavs) unidirectional to lose a lot of the ambient noise but the interviewer needs to know how to hold the mic properly so they are not off axis for best mic pick up. The camera person should wear headphones whenever recording. They shouldn't be assuming the audio is good because they see meters on the camera move. There may be other unwanted noise being recorded.

But no matter if there are mistakes, it's all part of that learning curve!
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Cheers for the advice - will probably have to hire one in (uni mic).

I'm hoping to the highest possible hope that I can borrow the JVC rather than the Sony, it's just so much better than it. I know I can't really complain, but when you've used both and you're new, the JVC is just the 'don' of cameras to me :-D

Anyway, back on topic - will ensure headphones + mic are available on the day, even if it requires hiring something in.

Theoretically, is it better for the cameraperson to take care of the audio too if the camera is on a tripod and the subject relatively static?

James

Oh, by the way, do any of you know about what sort of lenience event organisers have in general with press passes?

The company that is organising this event is apparently only dishing out one pass to each organisation, and the people I'm representing have given this pass to the interviewer, so I'm just going as a normal person (with a camera, of course).

If, for example, the interviewer wanted to go to an interview that was press-only, would I be allowed to film the interview?

Red tape is so confusing!!!

James

Blog Entries
    Quote: lake54
    View Post
    Theoretically, is it better for the cameraperson to take care of the audio too if the camera is on a tripod and the subject relatively static?
    If you only have a cameraman, then in practicality there is no choice but for them to be mindful of the audio. A tripod is a necessity for many obvious reasons but should not be an excuse to not get, "the shot". At least if the camera is on the tripod, the camera person can briefly look/turn away, look around (for whatever reason) and still have a steady shot. Naturally, all this goes out the window if you want that, "cinema verite" look.
    Quote: lake54
    View Post
    Oh, by the way, do any of you know about what sort of lenience event organisers have in general with press passes?

The company that is organising this event is apparently only dishing out one pass to each organisation, and the people I'm representing have given this pass to the interviewer, so I'm just going as a normal person (with a camera, of course).
    There are no formal rules. They're made up depending on how high of a level the event is, so you can't assume anything. Best way to play it safe is to contact them to find out directly (get a name and the info from someone in charge, not a secretary. In addition, it wouldn't hurt to know who's head of security). If it's a small group, they'd probably want names to be able to pass the crew through security. Otherwise, one person-one pass but they're willing to give more passes on a case-by-case basis. After all, it would always help them for promotional purposes - it's not like your bringing a Hollywood film crew.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Filming at a Tech Exhibition

As much as I love this, you shouldnt be posting film of the base on a public forum Even though its not detailed, its there, and its information about our forces... Ya feel me?