Recording vinyls with my pc

I would like to record vinyls with my pc. Can anyone give me a how to hook-up my receiver and cassette player to the computer (PC clone).

I may need to upgrade my sound card, but I will test it with a first recording before spending extra $.

Thanks for any help.

Blog Entries
    It's just a case of plugging the audio outputs of the player into the audio inputs of the sound card. You should be able to use RCA connectors like the one shown below - if not, you'll need to tell us what connectors you do have on your machines and sound card.

BTW, I'll move this thread to the audio forum once you've replied.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Recording vinyls with my PC

Dave,

Thank you so much, I will try this and post my results or ask for more guidance.

I hope the farm is really beautiful. have a great time.

Ravette

Blog Entries
    No problem.

Just to clarify, the guy on the farm is Danny. He's a very competent young camera operator who I worked with and is currently travelling around England etc.

Hope your connections work out - look forward to the results.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

The audio coming out of record players is weak. Therefore it needs to be amplified before being fed to the soundcard's Line Input.

Assuming you have a PC soundcard such as the Sound Blaster Live, you'll need a Y-cable with two RCA plugs on 1 end (amp's L & R outputs) and one 1/8" stereo plug on the other end (soundcard's line input).

Of course, you'll also need a program to capture the sound and save it as .WAV or .MP3. A proprietary audio recording program should have been included with the soundcard (usually on CD, or on computer if it came preloaded with all the programs).

Double-clicking on the speaker icon in the taskbar will bring up the Windows Mixer which you will use to adjust the recording level of your sound (Line Input slider). just make sure it doesn't clip, i.e. don't move the slider all the way up. 2/3 of the way to the top should do.

Experiment!

sgi
    http://acapellas4u.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8932

here i find a good review from vinyl capture

Swable

vinyl recording

Hi Dave i have bought a creative soundblaster 24 bit, i have linked it up to my record deck, but after recording a record, when i try to play it i get no sound, can you help

Blog Entries
    Can you record anything else from your sound card? What happens if you plug a microphone in and record that?
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com