View Poll Results: what you prefer for a web designer?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • HTML

8 53.33%
  • XHTML

4 26.67%
  • PHP

2 13.33%
  • ASP.net

0 0%
  • Any Other

1 6.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

what should a beginner learn->

Hi

For a web designer what u r prefer?
    HTML
    XHTML
    PHP
    ASP.net
    or any other.

please give your reviews.

thanks

I'm a newbie

Hi everyone,

My Name is Lee-an. I really love Photography but I don't know where to start because reading some of the posts in this site, I really don't have any idea with these HTML, XHTML, PHP, etc thing. All I know is that I love taking photos particularly nature & historic places in a country.
    We do have a film school here but I'm not that sure if enrolling to a film school would be the first best move to make.

Please advise me.

Thanks.
    Last edited by leean; 25th Aug 2008 at 17:49.

Learning photoshop may help you modify, edit features of the pics that you click.

i wud suggest you to start with PHP wich is a web scripting language. The best way to learn php is to download one of the Apache web server distributions like WAMP which allows you to build web pages on your own machine. The php manuals are very useful, so are the mysql manuals and mysql database is very useful as a data store for use with php..hope it helped u!

I would like to suggest you html and CSS.

What do you require to learn?

Anyone who wants to become a web designer should at least learn HTML + CSS, there is no particular reason to start out learning XHTML for lots of reasons, but lets just say the benefit + the differance is minimal.

Generally anyone who knows html, will also be able to write xhtml. You can read more about the advantages at: http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/2004/xhtml-faq#advantages As it is now there isn't really any clear advantages for most users.

You should also learn XML and a few of its child languages. I.E. RSS, Atom, Sitemaps. (XHTML is also a child language of XML)

Javascript/Ajax is actually easy to pick up on the way, however i recommend everyone to learn a server-side scripting language first, such as PHP and MySQL, these are both free to use.

It might seam like a lot, but it really isn't. It is also required if you want to compete among self-thought as well as certificated. There are still quite a few web-designers who use WYSIWYG, and all sorts of invalid code, but i suspect these have a long reputation which makes it possible.

Its also important to know what the different languages are used for, otherwhise you will find that learning will take longer then otherwhise expected.

If you are interested in which tools a web designer uses, i posted an article on Brugbart not long ago, which mostly covers the freeware (more then enough in most cases), but also bigger apps like photoshop. http://www.brugbart.com/Articles/141/
    Last edited by BlueBoden; 14th Oct 2008 at 12:07.

Quote: BlueBoden
    View Post
    What do you require to learn?

Anyone who wants to become a web designer should at least learn HTML + CSS, there is no particular reason to start out learning XHTML for lots of reasons, but lets just say the benefit + the differance is minimal.

Generally anyone who knows html, will also be able to write xhtml.
    While I agree that you should know HTML + CSS, I have to disagree with this. XHTML is much more rigid and strict than the various HTML implementations. Learning XHTML and CSS first will enforce the rigidity and allow for easier transition to HTML than from HTML to XHTML.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Quote: tonsofpcs
    View Post
    While I agree that you should know HTML + CSS, I have to disagree with this. XHTML is much more rigid and strict than the various HTML implementations. Learning XHTML and CSS first will enforce the rigidity and allow for easier transition to HTML than from HTML to XHTML.
    i agree with you thats why i chose xhtml :d

When it comes to web design, the main fundamentals are to learn HTML and CSS. HTML will allow you to start posting things on the web. Once you master HTML you can get started with CSS because this is now the backbone of websites. You can do so many great things with CSS. The next step would be to learn Javascript. From this point on it is all up for grabs. Javascript gives you the skills to learn and write Ajax which allows pages to be updated without refreshing. Pretty slick stuff. After all of this has been learned you can get into the dynamics of a website (PHP, ASP, ASP.Net, PERL, etc.). All of these languages are great, but I prefer PHP for dynamic coding only because it is open source as well as FREE.

Quote: tonsofpcs
    View Post
    Thats a general misunderstanding many beginners have, anyone can write html, but that dosn't mean its valid.

Properly written html is very close to xhtml, and can be "converted" or rewritten in less to no effort, depending on the complexity of the site, static sites are obviously easier to rewrite.

XHTML is basically just html in XML, which allows to mix the page with other XML based languages, such as MathML, and thats something only few people will need.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast