Having trouble transferring my video to my pc, please help

Hello,

I just bought a Sony HDR-FX7 with Sony MiniDV Cassettes (they are the premium kind, if that helps). I also bought a fireware cable which works fine (I think).

The problem is that whenever I plug in the firewire cable to my camera, it asks if I want to edit or record video using Adobe Premiere Pro CS4, I click "Edit or Record", but then when the software comes up, there is no video. I am familiar with Adobe so I know the videos themselves usually don't show up in Adobe, but also when I press on "My Computer" it says there is no external drive plugged into the computer (like it will say when you insert a CD, DVD, use USB, etc.).

Also, I'm recording in HDV, and since I had usually only used cameras with a HDD, I'm very unfamiliar as to whether or not I can record HDV on MiniDV cassettes.

Basically, I can't edit any video right now, and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. Anything is helpful.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    I would ignore the options that come up when you plug in the camera. Just cancel that window and open Adobe Premiere separately.

With Premiere open, you then need to capture the footage from the tape to your hard drive. F5 opens the capture window. Make sure you have HDV selected in the capture options. You should be able to use the tape transport controls in the capture window to control the camera. Rewind to the start of the footage, then click Play, then click Record. The tape will play and be recorded to your hard drive. When you reach the end of the footage, click Stop and give the file a name.

Note: This records all the footage as one file. Unfortunately PPro doesn't support scene detection with HDV files so you can't automatically split the shots up - if you want to do that you'll need to do it manually or use a different capture program.

Once you've captured the video, it will probably appear automatically in the project. If not you can import it.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Thank you so much, it's working great now.

Blog Entries
    Cool
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com