How young is too young?

Opinion question.
    Looking to train a new sound person for my church.
    How old should the person be to train properly and how old should they be to depend on to handle things by themselves?

I say 16 and up. I'm 18 and have been running sound for my church for 4 years, but yeh I'd say 16 and up.
    Quote: joshsaunt
    View Post
    Opinion question.
    Looking to train a new sound person for my church.
    How old should the person be to train properly and how old should they be to depend on to handle things by themselves?
    Regards,
    Ivan Fegundez. Recording Technician, live sound technician, and mastering technician.

Depends on the kid. I was the organist at my church at 13. It takes a certain degree of maturity to understand that he/she must stay on task, anticipate things, and generally not ever be responsible for a hitch in the proceedings. Kind of like an orchestra, where one person's momentary inattention can negate the efforts of 99 other people.

Work them in gradually. Be sure they see you doing the things you will expect them to do. At each step, ask, "Do you think you're ready to do this?"

not sure on the 'do you think you're ready to do this' appraoch, though I guess it really depends on the kid. Just speaking for myself, when I was 17, I was finishing up a sound engineering course and did a 'stage' at a club. I was the dude running around doing the little stuff and back then, I would be with different sound guys who worked differently every night. The ones I learned the most from were the ones that put me on the board even when I felt I wasn't ready to get hands on experience. With that hands on came confidence but if everyone asked me 'do you feel ready', I may have said no and never gotten to the next step, or it would have taken me a lot more time to get comfortable.

All that to say, I think it goes down to the hands on experience so 16 or 20 years old, I'd go with the one that had the most hands on and was able to see the most trouble shooting with his time there. I think a 16 year old is just as capable if you find the right one.

Best of luck!

At 16 I bought my first bass and started playing in a band. I was the one who took the reigns with the PA and learned what was going on.. I really wanted to make sure the sound was good, and I was responsible for the rig and making sure it didn't get blown up.

I'd look at it this way: Do you trust the person not to react badly to time-sensitive issues like feedback? Do you trust them to turn things down, rather than up? Can you patiently train this person to do the job at hand? Do you have any decent but easy to read books on the subject?

For an easy read with good info, I recommend: http://www.amazon.com/Church-Sound-S...ref=pd_sim_b_4