repairing cables advise please

I have a wireless unit, headset M175 mic that has a short right at the connector point. This was spliced and attempted repair by my uncle. The connection was shoddy. The tip is 3.5, about the size of a headphone jack. I would like to strengthen this point because it is a Stress point on the cable. I'm not sure if I could get a collar or a extra strength strain relief. I really need help on soldering. I'm great with the cutting and twisting the wire for a complete circuit.

Is that a molded-on plug?

hi,

if the cable is much thin then you must be change the iron soldering pin into think pin, and is these alot of soldering gun available on the market, just first detect the damage wire point thru avometer.
    Certified Packing Supplies in USA

Quote: Boggieman
    View Post
    hi,

if the cable is much thin then you must be change the iron soldering pin into think pin, and is these alot of soldering gun available on the market, just first detect the damage wire point thru avometer.
    Incorrect. If you wish to fix the soldering job, get a thin tip for you soldering iron and read up on some basic soldering techniques.

As for strain relief, the cheapest way would be to take a few inches of wire from the connecting point and tape it up to the ear piece. This will eliminate all strain from the connector and put it on the taped area.

I have had the same issue with some Countryman lapels on Shure bodypacks. Simply making a "limp" area around the connector does wonders with delicate cables.

The reason I asked if the plug is molded on is that, when the cable breaks at the point where it leaves a molded plug, repair is pretty difficult. You have to hack away the molded plastic until you can get at the wires. An expert solderer can make this work, but a neophyte almost never can, and anyway you wind up with a trashy job that's likely to break again.

Quote: karl eilers
    View Post
    The reason I asked if the plug is molded on is that, when the cable breaks at the point where it leaves a molded plug, repair is pretty difficult.
    Yeah, I have had this issue time and time again...even currently with my power cable for this laptop. I dream for a day in which all connectors are twist locks :P

...until the first time somebody trips over a cable, and instead of pulling the plug out of the socket, the laptop crashes to the floor.

I like to use heat shrink tube for a little added strain relief. Sometimes two or more pieces. Use one over the cable and connector strain relief point, where the connectror crimps around the cable, and use another, sometimes 3:1 is neccesary, Around the connector shgell after it has been installed. Don't forget you will need to place the first piece on before you solder.

As for molded plugs, I have repaired a few but just cut it off and buy a new one. Neutrik or switchcraft are very high quality and make almost any connector you could need.