Jackie

How to recognize a Condenser or Dinamic MIC

Hello, i have a microphone, but i dont know if it is a condenser mic or a dinamic mic, is there any way to know that? thanks!

Blog Entries
    If it needs a battery or power supply it's a condenser. If not, it's a dynamic.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Jackie

another thing

I read that electret condenser mic dont need a power suply, so, if a have one of those, how i realize if i have a condenser mic?, thanks!!.

Blog Entries
    Yes, good point. Electret Condensers have a permanent voltage built in during manufacture.

Can you describe the mic? Does it have a brand/model number?
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

it ain't rocket science
    a dynamic mic uses a coil and magnet { reverse of a speaker} [not person but audio woofer/mid/tweet] , a condenser..uses plates and voltage [ permanently charged or phantom powered 48V] ..

unless ya know the model # or sometimes manufacturer..[er i don't think Neumann or AKG make dynamics and Shure and Electro Voice .to my knowledege ..are exclusively dynamic..most all RCA's i know are ribbon..Beyer crosses boundaries]..then getting the manufacturer/model..and doing a web search is the best bet

Jackie

brand

The microphone is a Yamaha New Series YM-9.3N but i cant find any information at yamahaīs web site. Itīs heavy, and seemīs PRO. It has an On-Off switch, canon plug, and nothing else. If you could tell me, it would be great!!!, thanks!!.

Blog Entries
    I couldn't find any specs but I found a couple of photos and it sure looks like a dynamic to me. I did find some other similar mics in the same range that are definitely dynamic.

It looks like you can probably unscrew the head and have a look at the diaphragm if you really want to, but I don't think that's necessary. I think you can be confident that it's a dynamic.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com