Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

About MEDIACOLLEGE

Greetings;

As some of you might have already noticed I'm not able to enter and track the incoming and outgoing messages in this site, as often as before.

Part of the fact is that, the media college web site has lost a significant amount of visitor quality and became a paradise to Asian link-scavengers, penniless gangs and other hopeless people around the world with homosexual behaviors.

These people are causing serious damage to this web site's integrity and its real market value.

Once of the most reputable and professional web sites, Media College is now suffering the sudden shift of new world order, whatever it is.

One thing is certain that Media College is still a valuable web site in terms of the information made available to public, and they once had one of a kind reputation as an online community that helped every new comer with every detailed answers.

Now the scene has changed and the resulting situation is now dangerously intoxicating, having far more than just an irritating effect on my skin..

Almost every new post is filled by one time comers and with semantically meaningful outgoing destinations at will.. most of them, may be not all of them, is intentionally done hoping to gain some undeserved precedence on search engines.

But I'm honored to tell you that this situation will change very soon by the help of social media integration in Google results. The true nature of the owner of some link will pay significant importance. But what we do have right now is that the search engine reputation of the overall mediacollege domain and the value of our links fall together with the abundance of low profile people and their looking-alike spam destinations.

SUGGESTIONS PEOPLE?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - -- - - - - - - - - - ---- - - - - - - -

• First thing first - Don't hire just janitors, but ESTABLISH an effective TASK FORCE to make regular sweeps in this site, and fight back using a series of SEO tricks even on their home. For all I know, going online with two or three brand-new websites, flooded with links to exact destinations and having their own schematics and keywords, say, a thousand links on a SEO enriched but "intentionally" dirty-tricked web page will undoubtedly damage whatever the Mediacollege abusers hoped of gaining in the end. Furthermore, telling Google about any illegal content and copyrighted or cloned material, knowing as I am one of the professionals, their accounts would be suspended forever.

• Second - enable supportive systems: Unless this BULLETIN BOARD stops supporting user LINKS, or devise a way to interpret user URL's with their own set of outgoing links, or even unless they administer new set of policies to let know HOW TO EARN A NAME or signatures, I don't expect much from novice questions like this one; I don't respond as often as before, either.

• Third - if the users BADLY want advertisements, Media College can do their part and enable one of a kind brilliant advertisement systems! They can even appear on pages, their banners may be shown at some reserved area in this site - I don't know - but all of these good things can be achieved with a good cooperation of the users and a mutual understanding in between.

Every answer to be made on this thread will be e-mailed to me 724 and this will ensure I'd be following your suggestions. To contact me you might wanna to try locating me on Twitter or Linkedin, as well.. Mediacollege is still the shortest path to get me through..

Actually, I'm more willing to hear from Ta Awamutu area (where exactly is that 128 POBOX St.). I'm also intended to do certain real things 'together' in business.

hear me out Dave - we can do better than this.
    Or I'll be missing the old days regretting every new one.

regards;
    Last edited by kunter; 18th Nov 2009 at 18:29.
    - kunter ilalan web designer
    follow him on twitter and on MediaCollege

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the time and effort you put into your post Kunter. I'm aware of the situation and yet again I'm offering my apologies for not dealing with it better and sooner. There's so much to say I don't know where to start but in short, here's the current situation:

Spammers are obviously a severe problem and it's gotten much worse since they started employing real people in addition to automated spambots. While we can filter the spambots reasonably well, there's just no way to automatically filter real people who intend to spam. Therefore, as you say, it's largely down to people being vigilant and fighting back manually.

We do have moderators here who have gone above and beyond the call of duty fighting this scurge. I am forever in their debt. It may be that we'll be adding more moderators soon to share the load. The key is to get people from different time zones, otherwise it tends to keep falling on the same people.

Perhaps the best immediate option though is a software upgrade to make it quicker and easier. I've been waiting for vBulletin to release version 4 of their forum software and I'm pleased to report that this week they've released the first public beta. I intend installing it on another site to test it out within a couple of days. Amongst other things I hope it's going to give us more control over who is allowed to post links.

Unfortunately a big problem still remains - spammers don't usually bother to check whether their links will be posted before they register. Most of the spam posters are paid monkeys who don't understand the system and don't seem to care if their links remain on the site or not. So even with tighter controls we're still going to have to keep the fight up.

On the positive side my partner and I will be back in 2010 to help. We're trying to sort out a routine in which we can check the forum every few hours during the day.

I'll post another thread ASAP talking about the general state of the website and plans for 2010.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hi Kunter

I too have messaged Dave directly and hopefully he will do something about controlling the forum.

Basically there HAS to be some sort of verification process BEFORE someone joins the site ... no approval ...no membership!!

ALL signature links should HAVE to be approved first as well!!! We are getting people posting totally useless comments ..like "I agree" just so they can add a signature link to their crappy products that usually have nothing to do with the topics!!! The web forum is absolutely full of so-called web designers trying to sell their services which is absolute garbage!! Only links that will help the topic discussed should be allowed and nothing else ..at present the forum is purely a spam site and I just hope that Dave will implement some really agressive action in the next few days!!!

We are already losing valuable members that have a real desire to help so please Dave put your foot down and say ENOUGH!! Waiting until new software arrives next year will be too late, I'm afraid.
    I will gladly ban at least 100 or more spammers who are still here!!! BUT you need to immediately halt the self registration process and disable all html for the time being so all posted signatures are inactive!!!!

Chris

Blog Entries
    Okay, I've set it up so all new registrations have to be manually approved first. At this stage approval can only be done by the site admin but hopefully I'll be able to allow moderators to approve users too.

I'm also going to try and set it up so that a new user's first half dozen posts are moderated as well. Hopefully these two measures will deter them.

Today I installed the new software on a low-traffic website and I had mixed results. It's looking promising but it's still in beta so I'm wary of installing it here at mediacollege just yet. I'll probably wait a bit and see how it goes first.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hi Dave

Good on you!!!!

One more question??? Can you disable html for a while on the entire forum??? I know it will inconvenience a few genuine people but once the spammers find out that links are not accepted they will soon move on to greener pastures and then you can re-introduce html links again.

If you like I can also spend some time removing the "one poster" insignificant posts that were done purely to get exposure...maybe also remove some non-conforming signature links????

Chris

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar
    @All

The spam has gotten quite bad, but I do think that the spammers target big name software such as vB and phpBB, which is why they are inherently flawed.

I'm not going to brag about it, but I am actually the project manager of a piece of forum software (open source + free) that focuses on spam prevention and protection. At the moment the software works perfectly fine on production sites, but since I took over I've made it my aim to get it to a stage where it can actually take over other vendors.

If anyone would like the details of this software, particularly you Dave, please PM me, or if you give me permission I will post a short description about it.

I will also add, Dave, that if you are interested, I will get the development team to aid you with anything you wish (i.e. the theming/integration).

We're soon going to build it up into a CMS as well, so expect it to get very very very large!

James

Blog Entries
    I've set up a system to moderate messages from new users. Until they've had 10 messages accepted, all their messages will have to wait in the moderation queue before being posted.

Quote: ChrisHarding
    View Post
    Can you disable html for a while on the entire forum???
    I could but I'm hoping that by moderating new users' messages (and deleting any with spam links) we'll achieve the same thing.

Quote: ChrisHarding
    View Post
    If you like I can also spend some time removing the "one poster" insignificant posts that were done purely to get exposure...maybe also remove some non-conforming signature links????
    If you like, that would be great.

Quote: lake54
    View Post
    If anyone would like the details of this software, particularly you Dave, please PM me, or if you give me permission I will post a short description about it.
    Feel free to post a message about it. Sounds very interesting. Unfortunately I've just forked out hundreds of dollars to upgrade several vBulletin licences because they have a pre-order special going at the moment. So to be honest I'm pretty much committed to vB for the mid-term future.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Nice, so we'll wait and watch the brand-new Publishing Suit in action. vBulletin is a powerful
    community software, indeed. Make sure you're not hiding what you've bought, Dave.. that wouldn't
    be polite

I guess, I wrote too much for an [del]excuse[/del], sorry I mean my "reply".. silly me. Ladies and
    gentlemen, I am a busy person...

... a busy person,

WHO HAS A LOT OF FRIENDS AND BELOVED ONES ASKING FOR SOMETHING FROM ME
    EVERYDAY.. YOU'VE JUST GOT BE KIND ENOUGH TO RESPOND EVERY EACH OF THEM.

AND WITH A SMILE THEY DESERVE!

WELL, TO DO THAT, YOU NEED PEACE.

AND THAT'S WHY..

FOR ONLY 5 MINUTES IN MY DAILY RUSH,
    THERE I FIND A SANCTUARY FOR MYSELF

WITH ONE CUP OF GOOD OL' NESCAFE GOLD!

EVEN THE FLAVOR WITHIN ITS MAGICAL VAPOR SATISFY FULLY BEFORE YOU DRINK IT.

NESCAFE GOLD..
    BECAUSE THEY CAPTURE THE COFFEE AT ITS BRIGHTEST!

p.s. *ssshht* I am actually drinking LIPTON tea while re-editing this post

Last edited by kunter; 25th Nov 2009 at 07:30.

Hi Kunter -- I'm dismayed to read your post about the abuse of Media College. To me this is one of the most valuable sites on the net. Sure, there are social contacts made, but that's obviously not its primary focus.

You've got top-notch people providing solid information to those of us who need it. Earlier this month one of your regulars responded to a question I had and gave me great guidance that I used.

Please don't let the morons out there dscourage you. There are lots of us who need this site. Tell us what we can do to help.

Thanks,
    Doc

You would like to see my latest "informative" post on web design section, about link building

http://www.mediacollege.com/forum/sh...0&postcount=30

Also you would definitely hate to see this post I found as I was on pursuit for the hot topic:

http://www.bizcorner.info/seo/exploi...link-building/

May be we should sweep the entire board for valuable topics/messages then by means of adding semantic mark-up, like headers and anchor elements to the critical content (for this web site) we may be able to undo the damage.

Needless to say, sweeping is for "sweeping away" the malicious content, first.. then adding extra mark-up.

Start your day with a Coffee and a Smile :-)

best regards
    Last edited by kunter; 25th Nov 2009 at 07:10.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast