VOD Systems, BBC, YouTube ITV etc

Hello All,

does anyone know whether ITV and the likes of Youtube develop their VOD systems from the bottom up around FMS or do they buy complete systems from a source. I would imagine the BBC's is a complete inhouse solution.

I am aware that there is a complete system available based around Sharepoint/PKS/Silverlight but is there something comparable from a FLV point of view.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Steve

Blog Entries
    The big players tend to use systems that consist of in-house and exclusively-purchased technology. The BBC has invested a great deal of money developing their own player and other related bits and pieces. Youtube was an early innovator in video delivery and Google is continuing R&D. It makes sense for them to develop their products and/or purchase new technologies rather than purchase "off-the-shelf" products.

I'm not aware of anything in the same scale available off-the-shelf, but there are smaller-scale options. Unfortunately I've never been able to find anything really robust and powerful enough for serious applications. About a year ago I presented the results of my research in a review of video-sharing scripts. I never did get round to updating the review but maybe I'll be able to do that early next year. In the meantime I did go with PHPMotion - it was about the best of the bunch but still somewhat feature-poor and buggy.

I'd be interested in any other comments or updates about the state of play in VOD solutions.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Thanks for the reply Dave