Live video for web broadcast

Hi, I am looking for the best answer for creating good quality live video that we can broadcast on the web. We are going to do some live training online.

The problem I am having is that all I see are 80-100 webcams and I dont know if they are going to be good enough. Also, I do not know much about shopping for a webcam. Can anyone give me some pointers on what to look for? Does anyone have experience with live video online?

Should I be buying a webcam or a digital video camera that I just connect to my laptop?

Thanks,

Matt

Blog Entries
    I think the important phrase in your message is "good quality live video". In my opinion you won't get that from a webcam. Although it might look acceptable and the resolution will be technically fine, most webcams are not good quality cameras. Their lenses and CCDs (image sensing devices) are too small and they simply don't deliver a professional look. You'll also be very limited in terms of zooming - sometimes it will be difficult to frame the correct shot.

I'd say your best bet is to get a decent video camera.

Others will likely disagree. For example, it's a common argument to say that a webcam has all the resolution you need for the web. This ignores the fact that resolution is only one factor in image quality. You want a camera that does everything well, not just provide acceptable resolution.

If you do get a video camera, make sure it is actually capable of live streaming. Some have a USB output that can only transfer recorded files - not output a live camera stream.

Also, it's important to note that lighting is a critical factor. Pay as much (or more) attention to lighting than the camera.

BTW, if you're looking for good streaming software and you have a healthy budget, Vidblaster is well worth a look. Just make sure you're sitting down before you read the prices
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hi

You will need the following to do a good quality video of Live training on the web

1) You will need a good DV camera with a Firewire port (Sony,Panasonic,JVC etc)
    Webcams typically are not useful unless you just want to show your face talking! Webcams donot provide the perspective if you want to capture a scene inside a room or outside

2) You need good lighting - If you have a 3 CCD camera, it will take care of low lighting conditions

3) A Good Laptop or workstation with a video capture card and a video stream encoder

4) A Media server to which you will publish the Live streams

5) A website on which you can configure a Flash or Windows media player to display the live stream of your training.