Thread: Mic Specs

Mic Specs

I need some glasses for my microphone. OK bad joke for my first post hoooray! So, I'm looking at some drum mics, and I've unraveled some of the information. First, what I'm looking at:

[B]Operating Principle: Condenser
    Polar Pattern: Cardioid
    Frequency Response: 80Hz to 20KHz
    Sensitivity: -28dBV (18mV) @ 1 Pa
    Impedance: 480 ohms
    Max SPL: 120dB, 1% THD
    Self Noise: 26dBA
    Power Requirements: P12, P24, P48, 5mA

Now...what I know...ouch...

Condenser (The term condenser is actually obsolete he he...) so I have a mic that is being supplied a consistent charge, allowing the two diaphragms to transduce the troughs and undulations of a sound wave versus a coil (no wonder the condensers are more sensitive, they don't need to lug all that dynamic coil around) bound dynamic microphone. My cardioid (or "heart shaped") diaphragm...not that the diaphragm is actually heart shaped, although that would be cool, has a frequency response from 80 to 20,000 beats per second (and I could not copy and attach the graphic of the frequency response) but it peaks around 10,000hZ. The Impedance is low (under 600ohms) which, as long as my mixer jives with, that's cool too. So...what I'd love to know-

Sensitivity: -28dBV (18mV) @ 1 Pa .....???

Max SPL: 120dB, 1% THD ...???

Self Noise: 26dBA..???

Power Requirements: P12, P24, P48, 5mA (What are these voltages?)

Thanks All

Humbly
    Josh

Sensitivity: this is confusing. -28dBV is about 40mV, not 18. This is a fairly sensitive mic, high output compared to others. This could actually be a drawback because drums are loud. I assume your mixer has a gain trim knob on each channel in addition to the main fader, so you can turn the preamp gain down.

Max SPL: the loudest sound the mic can handle without distorting. 120dB is very loud; it will quickly cause permanent hearing damage. You're not likely to encounter real-world sounds that exceed this unless you maybe beat on the mic with a drumstick.

Self noise: the amount of hiss generated by the mic itself. 26dBA isn't particularly good, many mics are 10dB better. But if you're miking drums, you're dealing with sounds that are loud enough that you'll never hear the mic's self-noise.

The 10kHz peak will give drums some extra snap. If this is for a P.A. system and the speakers' high end is ratty, this will make things worse, especially cymbals. Just try the dang thing out; no amount of specs will tell you what your ears tell you.

"Condenser" is obsolete except for mics; it should be consigned to history, but if you say "capacitor mic" you'll get funny looks. Hard to change old habits. Ask any nun.

Hey, one bad joke deserves another.

Power requirements: the mic expects to see phantom DC power on the audio wires, supplied by the mixer. Some mixers supply 12 volts, some 24 volts, some 48 volts. Apparently this mic will work with any of these. 5ma is a normal current draw for a condenser mic.

The Voltage of the ECM

As usual the oparate valtage of the Electret Condenser Microphone is 1V- 10V.

attached a specification of the Cardioid (0。~180。@1KHz >12db) type Please check

Gary
    Attached Images Attached Images