Encoding from Premiere Pro

I am trying to get started into streaming video. I edit in Premiere Pro 1.5 and then want to encode to Windows Media Player, one of the options for export. I think things working properly for a single "Audience" (Aud) setting. One of the options is to have more than one Audience included, but I can find no description of what that will accomplish.

Can anyone help me out?

Questions;
    Will 2 aud. produce 2 different files at different settings?
    How will the files be identified?
    Will the media player select the most appropriate file based on connect characteristics?

Blog Entries
    It only creates one file, but includes the ability to supply a different bitrate to the end user depending on their connection speed. So a dial-up user and a broadband user both access the same file but each will see a different version tailored to their speed.

However to get this functionality you need to use a specialized streaming server, in this case the "Windows Media Services" package. It is the streaming server which detects the user's connection speed and adjusts the stream accordingly.

If you're using a standard old web server then you will need to provide different files for different connection speeds and let the user decide which one to view.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Thanks Dave!

Your answers were exactly what I needed to know. At this point it looks like we will be using a standard web server and will encode 2 separate files.

Blog Entries
    Happy to help.

Sounds like 2 files is the plan for you. I think that's usually the case - "true" streaming is very nice but it's probably an unnecessary luxury for most websites.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com