Stereo or Mono? & EQ?

I would like to have your opinions as to weather I should run my PA Mono or Stereo.
    I am using an Allen & Heath GL2400 mixer. Currently I am using the left output only going to my main eq, then to the crossover, then to the main amp & sub amps.

If I stay with mono here are a couple of questions I have about the setup.
    1. Should I pan all channels fully to the left or keep them panned center? I currently keep them panned center & it works but I want to make sure I am getting the full potential out of my system.

2. My mixer has a M output that sums the left & right signals & provides a mono output. If I stay with a mono setup would there be any advantage in using this output rather than just the Left Main Out as I am now?

We don't really have a reason I can think of that we would need a stereo mix. No special effects or anything. We use chorus on our guitars of course but if my thinking is correct the mic for the guitar amp is only going to send a mono signal to the mixer anyway. We play small to medium size clubs with an occasional outside show. But I already have the gear needed to run stereo. I have an extra eq available & I am only using one channel on the crossover so it would just be a matter of a few more cable connections if it make the system sound better.

I would like input on EQ adjustments. I do not use an educated method of doing this right now. I usually boost the low frequencies a tad to get a nice thump out of the subs. I leave most of the mids at -0-. I usually cut some of the highs & that seems to help feed back & whatnot. I was told by someone who is definitely NOT a sound engineer that in an small indoor environment 1k should always be cut. I just would like to know if there is any truth to that.

By the way I have spent half the day reading on the forum & there is some great information on here. Please share your thoughts & suggestions with me. Thanks!!

Stereo or Mono EQ

quick question: Besides using the hdmi cable for audio what is the next best way to transfer the sound signal? Stereo in question has no hdmi passthrough. It has optical and RCA inputs. Which is better? Stereo can decode Pro Logic 2, DTS and Dolby Digital. Im using a PS3 to watch Blu-rays

A lot depends on the kind of music. If it's airy, stringy, spacey music, there's a dimensional benefit to stereo.

The big problem with stereo in performing venues (as opposed to homes) is that you're going to have people sitting way off to each side and people sitting way closer to one speaker or the other. If you mix in stereo, you guarantee that the sound is going to be screwed up for a large percentage of the audience. And, since you're not sitting where they're sitting, you can't even tell.

Now, if it's airy, stringy, spacey music, there's an easy fix. You set the pan pots on everything but the airy, stringy stuff to center. Vocals, drums, other instruments come out in mono, meaning the balance is the same for everybody; stringy stuff comes out in stereo, giving you that woo-boy swirly dimensional sound. You can make the contrast a part of the artistic design.

No stringy stuff? Straight-up rock? Go mono, and rely on the room to dimensionalize the sound. If it were me, I'd use the M output of the mixer.

Thanks Karl! That makes a great deal of sense. We are just a regular band playing mostly rock & a little bit of country so staying with mono sounds like the best choice. I will try switching to the M output as well.

I have one more question about the use of the M output. By using this I know that my volume will be controlled by the M fader. Should I keep my Left & Right main faders set at 0db & just adjust the M fader for volume adjustments as long as I don't set it higher than the left & right faders since it is summing those two signals or should I just keep all three faders set at the same level even if I need my volume to be less than 0db?

If I am not mistaking I need to have my mixer output set to 0db anyway and adjust my volume level with the attenuators on the amps. If this is correct I guess it answers the above question but I would still like your input either way. I am very very new at running sound & I need all the help I can get.

Thanks!