Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar

Sony HVR-HD1000 - Comments?

Has anybody hired/used/have an opinion on the Sony HVR-HD1000?

Sony Product Page

Cheap entry level shoulder mountable camera, looks interesting to me. Was thinking of using it as a camera to hire regularly for jobs, wanted to see what people think of it.

I guess what I'm looking for most is if you've used it, what snags have you found with it?

James

Hey James

Sorry but I wasn't impressed at all!
    I has just a single CMOS chip and apart from line skews and flash problems the images jellos like crazy if you bump the cam.

Low light performance is really pathetic!! It looks like a brown net is superimposed on the image...it does an auto gain in low light and the video noise level is amazing!!

On the good side it's the cheapest HD cam on the market and takes fairly good and crisp pics in sunlight. Just watch out for the single sensor problems and don't use it in low light without a barrage of floodlights!!!

It still shoots in HDV format onto tape and can downconvert to SD..I never tried that but some have said that is flawed too.

I cancelled my order for two HD1000's from my dealer after trying one out and bought my Panny HMC72's which have proved to be awesome despite the AVCHD bitrate being outdated (it shoots at 13mps whilst the new cams shoot at 17 -24mbs)
    Low light is good and you also get an awesome audio section complete to XLR's, phantom power and switchable attenuation ..plus full manual too!!

I wouldn't change them (just got back from yet another wedding and they performed brilliantly as usual!!)

Chris

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/pwr/prod...Camcorder.html

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr...vr-hd1000.html

These links have proven to be highly interesting and informative - any additions to these?

I started typing this post after reading the first link, found the second and was reading that whilst Chris was typing his I assume.

So, in relation to the lighting, would this camera be suitable for filming your average event in a bar for example? There's a few Christmas parties coming up next week and might consider hiring it to test it out. The lighting won't be brilliant, but I'm assuming that I can change the camera control ring to control exposure, and set it at a particular level, or alternatively use a light as an attachment on the camera?

One question I do have from reading one of the links is the fact that someone said you can record HD onto standard DV tapes - I find that bizarre, and I don't know frankly how that could be possible (well OK I can kind of guess, but it doesn't make much sense). If it's possible, can someone explain how that would work, and in reality for low-budget 'productions', which is better?

James

I must say actually from reading reviews from multiple sites on the net, they broadly seem to be very positive on the whole.

The main areas of negativity were from presumably serious professionals and/or rival company employees, who were saying that the build of the camera was 'flimsy', but on the forum link, one of the main contributors who uses (if I remember correctly) 2 of the cameras, and he said they were fine in terms of build quality - I guess it depends on what you use it for etc.

I think in terms of a cheap and cheerful shoulder camera, for me this would be fine.

Back to the lighting again - what would you rate this light as being suitable for? Bear in mind it's for a low budget sorta guy, and most of the time I'll be in properly lit halls etc - this is purely for occasions such as above (bar parties etc) http://www.libraprobroadcast.co.uk/p...d=sonyhvl20dw2

James

Great point from Chris, low light issues can really spoil a video. Christmas parties in a bar can be dark so if I was you I would have a good think about using that camera. I have used the HD1000 in well lit conditions and it does give a good picture, but if its renowned for shooting bad in low light I wouldn't use it, the results of shooting in low light are awful.

Tom

Even with a light?

Wow it must be pretty bad even with an attached light

Actually, I remember reading somewhere that it has a 'night mode' on the camera, where it turns into one of those infra-red things - "The Super NightShot function uses a built-in infrared light emitter that allows you to record an object in zero lux light levels. It also enables night-time monitoring and surveillance."

Opinions?

You may be alright with an attached light, something you may just have to use and test. See how it goes

Tom

Cool. I'll see about hiring the camera and a light for a day and check it all out. Probably will end up not hiring it due to busyness (sic) but I'm sure I will soon :-D

Let us know how it goes if you use it

Will do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast